+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 103809 taongisurvivor is on a distinguished road taongisurvivor's Avatar

Yes | No

Steptronic or no steptronic?

Getting ready to order my daughter a 328i as a reward for getting a full scholarship to college. I am still in Afghanistan and they have a deal thru MWR where I can order a new BMW from the factory at MSRP minus 14%. Getting a Steptronic transmission is a $1260 option. Is this worth it??Gordon Jones
    1997 528i

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

only if she can't or will not drive a stick.

Mt isthe only way to drive a /bmw

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

BG

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic? Fundamental philosophical issue

That is a very generous gesture for the young lady. As for the transmission, I urge you to choose the manual. It will make her a more aware and better driver and it will keep her friends (most of them) from asking to borrow it. If you buy with automatic, why bother? Get an Acura or Infinity or equivalent and save her the hassles of BMW ownership.

oakbuilt

Yes | No

Re: Steptronic or no steptronic?

I have a 530i with the Steptronic. I've owned MTs in the past, and loved them. I think the Steptronic is a poor substitute. I've played with it several times, and it just is not the same - less control, almost gimicky. I'd save the $1260.

Crusader

Yes | No

Can she drive a stick?

My daughter couldn't, she could stall it with the car pointed downhill. A lot of inexperienced people treat the clutch like an infinitely variably gear ... not good for its longevity.

An auto trans has the advantage of simplicity. A BMW with an auto trans is still a better driver's car than an Acura or Lexus, but the current E90/92 hasn't got a sterling rep for reliability.

Most kids look upon a car in terms of a transportation appliance + cool factor. Cool factor might not be the ultimate driving machine in her perspective. Why don't you ask her what she wants within a certain price range? A solid Japanese sedan or sport coupe might be a better choice for an "away at college" vehicle.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

8spd auto is great but if she has an auto trans

then she will use the hand to text/phone.

I would get a stick and this will also ensure that nobody will ever wants to borrow the car. Out of 10 young person 0 can drive a stick shift. including males. sad.

so if she is up for it, get the manual and it will probably make her a better safer driver and also save the car !
    as far as clutch life, the delay valve will prevent most abuse unless intentional. that can't be helped.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

The first car I bought for my daughter had a (m)

5 speed. She wanted and automatic, however I was paying for it and "Father Knows Best". It only took here a few weeks to master it and never burned out a clutch.
    Her next 2 cars I got her were also 5 speeds, she loves them.
    She just bought a new Outback, wanted a 5 speed but there were none to be had and she didn't want to wait and order one. She got the CVT tranny with paddle shifters.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

CVT with paddle shifters!>>

Sounds like breasts on a boar pig!
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

BigRickMc50

Yes | No

Re: CVT with paddle shifters!>>

That "CVT with paddle shifters" sounds like an oxymoron to me!

Are the paddles for selection of P-R-N-D rather than "First-Second-Third-Fourth-Fifth" (which by definition don't exist in a Continuously Variable Transmission)?

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Good question, when my new company car arrives (m

The Subie Legacy I have on order also has the CVT tranny. Maybe using the paddle shifters keeps the tranny in defined gear ratios, I'll find out more in a few weeks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information