+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SteveGK

Yes | No

JimLev indie information

This guy is suppose to be good and honest, for what it's worth.
    First he does not work on BMW VW Saab those 3 are a pain to work with parts codes etc.. He said that the dealer could be right about my seals in the torque converter considering the mileage 171,000. He did not recommend a filter and oil change if the car is working fine now he thinks that could screw it up. Drive it and see if the trans goes for awhile, might go for awhile before it trips a code again. He said if it starts to happen often that the fix is a New Trans. He did not suggest to find someone to repair it. He's not looking to do the job, just giving his opinion and suggestions. Everything on my car works fine, I try and keep up with it. I have a new set of street tires, new Blizzaks snows on separate rims. Just did the CCV, Had BMW fix the oil leak on the oil filter housing. Everything is good except a possible weak trans. What a great car, I will have to do some thinking on this one. Maybe start looking into another 5'er, I was trying to wait for a used 2011 as I like the new style........I can't buy new not that rich, couple years old with 40/50,000 miles. got 100,000 miles out of this one for $20,000

Jim thanks again for all your help

Registered Member
    Member No: 16975 PShovest is an unknown quantity at this point PShovest's Avatar

Yes | No

I've read about this TC problem elsewhere.....

The rest of this post is speculation on my part.
    My understanding is the TC uses hydraulic pressure to control TC lockup. If TC doesn't lockup properly, trans module will detect slippage and complain. This pressure must be supplied thru the input shaft of the trans. There are likely several oil passages in the input shaft. The oil exits input shaft and enters TC thru radial holes in the input shaft. Seals are required to direct the oil to the proper passage(s) and prevent short circuiting. If these seals leak they will cause low pressure. It seems reasonable that a leaking TC seal can cause trans error codes. 171K from an AT is reasonable life. I've got 178K on my original 4HP22 in my '90 535i and hope to go much farther.

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    '01 530iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iTM Sport Premium
    '98 M3/4
    '90 535iA

SteveGK

Yes | No

thanks Paul S for the info

I have 800 miles on it since the dealer gave it it's last rites, and I will run it till it starts to do it as lot. Thanks for the info

Registered Member
    Member No: 16975 PShovest is an unknown quantity at this point PShovest's Avatar

Yes | No

TC lockup clutch seal

See photo in post 3 of link. This is the seal I was describing in my previous post.
    Replace the asterisks with m's.

http://www.bi**erfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518142&highlight=torque+converter

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    '01 530iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iTM Sport Premium
    '98 M3/4
    '90 535iA

Registered Member

Yes | No

Service Bulletin : 5HP19 TC lockup clutch seal

BMW Service Bulletin in post 6

http://www.bi**erfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409201&highlight=5hp19

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    '01 530iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iM Sport Premium
    '00 528iTM Sport Premium
    '98 M3/4
    '90 535iA

+ Reply to Thread