+ Reply to Thread
    Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 184956 jconnell is an unknown quantity at this point jconnell's Avatar

Yes | No

Heavy steering

I just picked up my 2nd 6er having lost my 87 L6 to an uninsured motorist 7 years ago.My new 86 is great except for the power steering which I think is too heavy especially compared to my 93 525i.

So far I have:
    1,Drained reservoir and pump
    2.Cleaned circular filter at bottom of reservoir.
    3.Added synthetic tranny fluid to correct level after pumping brakes.
    4.Turned wheels back and forth many times to eliminate air bubbles ( none ).

I don't remember my L6 being this hard to steer, I have no pump squeal at all, are these cars just hard to steer?
    Is it time for a new pump, it looks original at 90,000?

Thanks to all,
    Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 30851 romney88635 is an unknown quantity at this point romney88635's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Heavy steering

I'd bet the pump is fine. Mine is original at 350K... no problems. (knock wood)

I'd suggest, before doing anything more, that you find another sixer to compare.. or find a shop that is familiar with them. My steering is harder than the new stuff I drive, but not objectionably so, and being an '88 is likely the same as your L6. Don't know if they boosted the assist on the later cars or not.

Do make sure that your steering box mount has gotten reinforced. At 90k it may not have been addressed yet.

Pacific Sharkfest '02 '03 '05 Veteran
    Original Owner

Flash635

Yes | No

Re: Heavy steering

The steering on a 6 has less power assistance than any other car I've driven and noticeably so.

But your car may need a toe adjustment which can effect the weight of the steering.
    Another more likely cause could be the tyres. Sometimes the difference new tyres make to to the feel of a car is amazing.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17947 mhumphries is an unknown quantity at this point mhumphries's Avatar

Yes | No

pressure

Having the correct pressure makes a huge difference in mine. I run 30-32 front and 32-34 rear.Mike H

Kelvin

Yes | No

possibly year specific

I had an 86 535 that had much heavier steering than my 89 635 now. It is possible that there are 2 types of steering assist. My car now has speed sensitive steering that tightens us the faster I drive but takes no effort while parked. The 86 535i had heavier steering all the time. From googling the "speed sensitive steering" not long ago I remember reading something about different types.

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

Niether of mine are heavy at all and I have larger

tires (84 m635 8 1/2&x17 85 8x17 635) wheels and tires are usually the issue but the PS belt may be too loose as well. 50% chance the streeing mount bracket is broken. Everyone of my 35 or 40 5ers and 6ers have either cracked or broken off, displaying a verity of different problems. Try the Home Depot fix first to see. You can't usually visibly tell unless you are under the car and someone turns the wheel for you hard left the hard right. Good luck.

Ray

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information