+ Reply to Thread
    Jay '97 M73 70K
    , ,

Yes | No

Hylomar or not ????

Intakes removed and new gaskets purchased [also removed valve covers since they were easy to get to even though they were not leaking] ..... I see alot of past chatter about using Hylomar on the new Intake gaskets AND the new valve cover gaskets,, does that apply to the earlier models only ??? A BMW tech said to reassemble both and not to use anything on either of the new gaskets- intakes or valve covers !!!

, ,

Yes | No

Re: Hylomar or not ????

In my opinion, it will only make a better seal. Ive been using hylomar for a long time, works great!

Registered Member
    Winter Springs, FL, United States
    Member No: 50175 adciocca is an unknown quantity at this point adciocca's Avatar
    Yes | No

Re: Hylomar or not ????

I used it. It's sticky and makes a better seal. Be extra careful with the gaskets in the rear of the car where you cannot see. Use a mirror to make sure that the seal is properly seated. Your fingers just won't do.

1991 BMW 850i (black-USA)

Gerry, UKCSi
    , ,

Yes | No

Not necessary

You will not need to use any Hylomar here if you are using new gaskets. I believe it will lubricate the mating surface to allow the gasket to "settle" as it is tightened but then on the other hand, it is keeping the raised ridge of the new gaskets from seating on the heads.
    I would use a thin smear of grease on the cam cover gaskets to allow settling rather than Hylomar unless the face is scored.
    I really dont like hylomar with rubber gaskets but its fine with cork and paper gaskets.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information