+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

ARGGGGGGGH!!!!!

I *hate* it when crap like this happens...

Changing the valve cover gasket on my 3.0... got all the permatex in the right spots, get the valve cover on, start putting all the bolts in place... and ONE FREAKING BOLT decides to go AWOL on me while I am hand-screwing them in... the one waaaay in the back on the high side of the cover, back corner. Fell down the backside of the engine, never made it to the garage floor, not in the plug holes, must be sitting on top of the transmission somewhere.

So I took the center top bolt out from the cover and moved it to the back corner, tightened all the others down, and I will make the 60-ish mile drive (one way) to the dealer to buy ONE FREAKING BOLT... and knowing my stealer, they will charge $10 for it.

ARGGGGGGGGH!!!!!

*you may laugh at me now*

mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

Registered Member
    Member No: 6659 tom_m is an unknown quantity at this point tom_m's Avatar

Yes | No

Accelerate gently and then hit the brakes?

"All of us get lost in the darkness
    Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
    All of us do time in the gutter
    Dreamers turn to look at the cars" - N. Peart

Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe fish one of those magnetic pick-up tools?

JTP
    '00 Bright Red II, Black, Black 2.3

PERFORMANCE: Dinan Stage II suspension, Dinan strut tower brace, Porterfield R4S brake pads, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, UNGO MS8300 alarm, Doug Whalen Seat Bushings, Sylvania Silverstar headlights and fog lights. MAINTENANCE: Peake Research R5/fcx-II and SRS Reset Tools, Mity-Vac oil evacuator w/ brake bleeder, BMW Battery Tender. COSMETICS: Dinan Badge, OEM chrome exhaust tips, Magnetic stone guards, Roundel valve stem caps, Trunk-mounted Dragon sticker, WI plates: RES IPSA. COMFORT: Premium Package, Heated sport seats, “Z3 Roadster” heated vest (for wife), In-dash CD, LeatherZ MarkII armrest, OEM mesh windscreen. CAR CARE: Porter Cable random orbit buffer, Meguiars car care products, NOAH car cover, Plexus, Raggtop. EXTRAS: Z3Solutions warning triangle.

My Home Page

Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

Tried that -- no dice

I tried that -- I have several of the pick-up tools and did fish around for about 2 hrs, but never found it.

Bit the bullet and did the drive to the dealer today, paid $9(!) for a replacement bolt and have already put it in. My neighbor has a pit I can drive it up on -- will do that tomorrow and see if I can find out where it went to. I'm betting its sitting on top of the transmission somewhere, caught up in the case webbing.

If I find it I'll throw it in the toolbox for if I ever have to do the valve cover gasket again.

mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Had a coil bolt fall INTO the cylinder with the

spark plug out.

Very scary.

Went to the auto store and bought a magnetic pick up tool that can bend up to 90 degrees in the last two inches. Got it down the spark plug hole, forced it to turn and rotated to pick up the bolt. Sweated bullets for quite some time. Either try something like that, or pick up one of those crazy strong magnets at radioshack.

Boston Green M Roadster

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 60022 KURTZZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point KURTZZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

I cram towels around engine

Had that happen so many time that I cram old towels around the area that I'm working. It ends up looking like I'm operating on the engine.

2002 Z3 3.0i;black/black;sports package;BMW windbreaker;spoiler guard;LeatherZ armrest;Pinnacle Souveran wax;Whalen Shift Machine;Strongstrut tower brace;Alpine CDA-9847 CD;Alpine KCA-420i iPod converter;Silverstar 9006 bulb;Axxis brake pads;Stewart water pump;Zionville autosport radiator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information