+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 119604 smcmanusx is an unknown quantity at this point smcmanusx's Avatar

Yes | No

Do I really need a smog pump??

Wife's '97 2.8 secondary air pump froze up. It is made service impossible and replacements aren't cheap. I unplugged it. No testing here and I don't care about the environment so does this pump do anything necessary? How do I get the CEL to turn off with the smog pump unplugged?

Thanks
    Steve

Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

Depends...

Smog pumps help the catalytic converters get up to operating temperature faster. If your wife does a lot of short trips the cats may never reach operating temperature and eventually fail. If she does long drives all the time where the cats can get up to operating temp it may be OK.

If it were me, I'd replace the smog pump simply because its cheaper than replacing the cat.

mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

Registered Member
    Member No: 119604 smcmanusx is an unknown quantity at this point smcmanusx's Avatar

Yes | No

Before I stick my [Oops!] in the wringer..........

..........any advice on the best source for one of these?? '97 Z-3 2.8 smog/secondary air pump. So far it looks like Turner has the best deal.

Wife insists I fix it.

Thanks
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information