+ Reply to Thread
    Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Emergency Trunk Unlatch

My trunk latch actuator has broken. While removing the defective unit, I measured for the possible placement of a hole behind the license plate. This would allow you to reach in with a screwdriver and directly trip the latch mechanism by pushing the arm to the right.

Next time you have that part of the trunk disassembled, verify these measurements for yourself.

Horizontal: 1 inch to the right of trunk centerline.
    Vertical: 3 inches from the bottom edge of the lid.

I believe a inch hole would be sufficient, maybe even smaller.

I have even read a couple of old posts where the owner mentioned finding a hole already behind the license plate.

This actuator also permits detecting when the trunk lid is open or ajar.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Why not use the key?

Was there a reason you couldn't use the mechanical override from the key? One direction twisted all the way (farther than normal electric use) disables the electric release entirely (i.e. valet mode) and all the way the other way is the mechanical release (dead battery, broken actuator).

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

I intended this to be the last resort. There have>

been a couple of cases where the mechanical linkage between the key and the latch has become disconnected. There is no other way to get into the trunk when this happens, than to drill the hole.

BTW, I did not drill this hole, I just measured to determine where it might be drilled.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Ah, I follow...

...you were being generally helpful "just in case". :) I thought this was something you were currently experiencing....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information