+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119833 christophertor is an unknown quantity at this point christophertor's Avatar

Yes | No

Ellipsoid Headlight to Sealed Beam Conversion

My ellispoid headlights are broken so I'm looking to convert to sealed beam headlights. What parts do I need? How about wiring? Do I need pig tails from a sealed beam headlight car? Thanks for the help. CT

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ellipsoid Headlight to Sealed Beam Conversion

You'll need the sealed beam buckets from an early e30 as well as the pigtails for the sealed beams. Aside fomr that it's a simple plug and play

88 Delphine grey 325is
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00013)

Registered Member
    Member No: 119833 christophertor is an unknown quantity at this point christophertor's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ellipsoid Headlight to Sealed Beam Conversion

Thanks. The ellipsoids have two wires and the sealed beams have three wires. How do I wire the sealed beam pig tails ? CT

Chris_TN

Yes | No

Complicated a bit

Sealed beams are dual filament and ellipsoids are single filament.

What that means is that when you switch to highs on a normal sealed beam car, the low switches off and the high switches on, along with the inside beams. On an ellipsoid car, the low beam lights don't change when you switch to highs.

You'd have to figure out how to add a relay to turn the low side off and turn the high side on for the outside lights. If you don't care about them operating correctly and just want them to operate, then figure out the ground, low 12V and high 12V prongs on the outside sealed beams (use your head and a battery). Hook the ground for your current lights up to the ground for the sealed beams and hook the single hot wire to the sealed beam low 12V.
    The inside lights should only have two wires in either case.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information