+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 18312 bmwm3coupe is an unknown quantity at this point bmwm3coupe's Avatar

Yes | No

Good bye for now - thanks much for all of the help

When I got the 540i I knew it was going to be a high maintenance endeavor, and in the past 5-6 years, my travel was not "that" frequent, which allowed me some good flexibility in getting time set aside to keep my 540i running and maintained. That gamble has paid up great since I have been able to operate my BMW with little/no dealer/mechanic support, and keep operating costs relatively "low".

However even though I recently have done the Valve Cover gaskets and some other things, I still have several leaks that I can't fix on my own, and I have been very worried about possibly being left stranded - I have lost confidence in my car, and specially on my time availability to keep it running well.

I don't have a large budget for a new car, so I was limited to about $20K, but I still wanted something a little bit "fun". Since my wife drives an Accord and we have been very happy with it and our Honda dealer, I researched trade-in values for my 540i in my area, and with that information I went to my Honda dealer last night and test drove the Civic Si 4-door which was my top choice.

Long story short, I got a fair trade-in value on the 540i, and got the Si for $500 over invoice (moving slowly now with the cold weather, plus about 80-85% of new car buyers don't know how to drive a manual tranny car!), so I now have this smaller, and fun car for city driving (and regular trips to/from the airport!), but the best thing is that it comes with a SWEET 6-speed manual transmission, which I have missed since the time I had the 5-sp manual '91 535i.

The most important part of this note is to provide my most sincere thanks to the many Roadfly members who have been so very helpful and instrumental in me being able to repair/maintain my 540i for as long as I have - very much appreciated :-)

As I will not be checking this forum as often as in the past, please let me know by email if there are questions/photos/data that I can share regarding my old posts/DIY's/etc. => wquiles (at) gmail (dot) com

Take care guys!

Will
    William
    Richardson, Texas
    2010 Honda Accord EX, 4-cyl, auto-tranny (her car)
    2000 BMW 540i Auto, TiSilver, Sport/Prem Package (my car)

Retired/sold:
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona - Top Banana
    2005 BMW 330i Auto, Premium Package
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

Needs lowered

Congrats.

p.s. please tell me you didn't have any parts that i coulda swapped out with you before trade in :)

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD
    Join the BMW E39 / 5 Series Group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347966936053

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    06' Range Rover HSE (Prod. 6/22/05)
    Giverny Green/Aspen-Aspen-Ivory
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/Resonator Removed, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

I'd like to personally thank you for your

outstanding DIY write up on replacing broken headlight adjusters. I have used it twice to replace my adjusters, which broke separately and about a year apart. I think you'll miss the BMW after a while, but I hope your new car treats you well. I am pretty sure that it will be extremely reliable since it's a Honda. Too bad BMW doesn't have such a fine reputation. Pretty sad.

All the best William.

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod
    BMW CCA member

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Be good & take care of yourself, William! Please

do drop in once in a awhile and say "hi"!

You know, the more I stare at pics of your Honda Si, the more I think it is one really cool looking car. And if it drives with half as much zest as it looks cool, then you've got yourself a winner ;-)

Eurodavid

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

well you know that thing is faster and handles

better than most if not all the "glory days" of "muscle cars" cars that handled terribly, got 4-9 mpg, could not stop once they got to the blistering speeds of 130 mph on a good day with a tail wind. I know I know so many will remember that their hot rods would go "way past 150 with the throttle pedal only half way down"! I got in a buddy's 68 Camaro SS396 with "rock crusher" 4 speed the other day, it was just like my old one "Canary yellow" black vinyl interior, console gauges. It's all original and scary dangerous to drive at anywhere NEAR it limits. I appreciate what it is but just about any sporting new car including your Civic will give it heck at the drag strip and blow it away on the track, and stop with no drama.

Those cars are mostly cruisers now and good for short drives with the club and then of course rush it home washi it wax it and cover it up in the garage.

Good luck and enjoy.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

You really can't go wrong with what you got but you will be back.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

The only sad thing is that a well maintained and

loved car will probably be sold at auction and new owner probably won't have a clue what he/she has. Good luck with your new ride and sorry to hear you go.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Registered Member
    Member No: 18312 bmwm3coupe is an unknown quantity at this point bmwm3coupe's Avatar

Yes | No

True, my old car had a lot of really good upgrades

Engine chip, muffler, cold air low restriction intake, premium life-time all aluminum radiator, premium brake pads and rotors, SS/teflon brake lines, wired for iPod/Sat radio, etc..

This is something I have been planning for the last couple of months, so I had some time to get use to the idea of parting with the 540, but it still felt sad when I drove off never to see it again ...William
    Richardson, Texas
    2011 Honda Civic Si, 4-door (my car)

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

Registered Member

Yes | No

You know, it is not a BMW, but it drives (m)

"really" well for something around $20K. The upgraded suspension and low profile tires give the Civic Si a very good feel of the road, without being too punishing. Of course, it lacks the road isolation/dampening from the BMW's, the rear well drive (isolating steering and power delivery), and when you close the doors in the Civic they feel kind of light/hollow, unlike the solid clunk I used to get with the 540.

The Civic is clearly a compromise at this point in my life, but rowing my own gears on this great tranny is fun every time I drive it. This will have to do until the next time I can get back to a BMW :-)

Will
    William
    Richardson, Texas

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

Registered Member

Yes | No

It drives pretty much how it looks (m)

Light, nimble, peppy engine, fantastic shifter, but of course it is front wheel drive which sucks. If this car were rear-wheel drive, it would be nearly perfect :-)

William
    Richardson, Texas

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

Registered Member

Yes | No

You are welcome. Thanks much :-)

William
    Richardson, Texas

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

Registered Member

Yes | No

If you contact me by email (m)

I can give to you (just pay shipping) the two ultimate cup holders that I took off from the car.

I might also have a new oil filter around if you are interested - also free of course.

Will
    William
    Richardson, Texas

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

BG

Yes | No

I used your headlight notes, too!

Yes, I also used your notes to fix one of my headlights. Thanks for all the photographs and text.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Hate to see you leave, good luck with the VTEC (m)

It's a sharp looking car. I still haven't got around to adding your fan delay circuit to my radiator fan, hope to get to it before this summer.
    A friend has a Civic that I've been in, nice ride. Good to see you got a stick. You can always mod it for 1/4 the cost of what you have been use to.

Registered Member
    Member No: 115243 deputer is on a distinguished road deputer's Avatar

Yes | No

William, thanks for YOUR help when I needed it!!!

2002 540 6 speed, Steel Blue/Black interior, totally loaded with every option including BMW Bluetooth and voice recognition, and now with built in Stealth One/Valentine 1. 18" Staggered Miro BBS LM rep wheels. I am loving the power again!

2003 525iT, Silver/Black, non-sport, 18" Staggered BBS RC wheels. T boned and traded away.

2000 540 6 speed, Biarritz Blue/Sand, M5 shifter, XM Radio Valentine One/Stealth One hardwired in, 17" style 5 wheels
    Sold but never forgotten.

2001 525i, stock, great car that got me hooked, sold

[IMG]][IMG]

Zack

Yes | No

Re: Good bye for now - thanks much for all of the help

A HONDA!?
    Have many miles of trouble free driving:)

Cutris001

Yes | No

Funny, I went from a Civic to my 530i

I bought an 06 Civic, same body style as yours, within the first few days they were available for sale in the US. Loved the car and put about 55K miles on it within a year and a half. Drove the piss out of it, averaging 90 mph daily with my commute at the time, and still always averaged 33 mpg. Considering my driving habits, that was impressive.

My reason for jumping from my Civic to BMW was the BMW is MUCH quieter at highway speeds. While the Civic is VERY comfortable and laid out well ergonomically, the only advantage the Civic has on interior functionality is cupholders that actually work, and the Civics are about the best you can get. I was disappointed with the quality of the seats, as the side of the seat facing the door was already starting to sag from getting in and out, and I guess overall sitting in. I was also not happy having to put new tires on a brand new car after 17K miles, as the OEM tires were VERY soft, to aid in handling and quieter ride.

In any case, best of luck. They are fun to drive, and handle well, but despite the maintenance issues on our cars, it's still no BMW.

Ed CT

Yes | No

Best of luck. Your contributions to the E39 board

will be sorely missed.

Looking at your 'retired/sold' list, my bet is that you can't be without a Bimmer for too long. Let us know which RF board you join next!

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

Appreciate it but i don't see your email addy

thx

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD
    Join the BMW E39 / 5 Series Group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347966936053

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    06' Range Rover HSE (Prod. 6/22/05)
    Giverny Green/Aspen-Aspen-Ivory
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/Resonator Removed, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

You contributed greatly to the board

Hi William,

I have directed many people with V8 to your DIY on cooling system.
    Simply beautiful DIY by yourself.

I don't blame you, the V8 is tough to maintain.

If you come back, get a 6-cylinder E39.

Anyway enjoy your Honda!

Registered Member

Yes | No

in the very first post, after the pictures ...

=> wquiles (at) gmail (dot) com
    William
    Richardson, Texas

Retired/sold:
    2002 M3 Coupe with SMG
    1995 525i auto
    1991 535i 5-speed manual

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information