+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

Ahh..., the sight of shiny new parts waiting to

be installed, if somebody would just to do it for me. I know it's to early to tell about the Bilstein, but the quality is definitely there. I love how they come with its own boot and internal stop. The piston diameter is much ticker than OEM. I should have them on by the end of week.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Zack

Yes | No

Re: Ahh..., the sight of shiny new parts waiting to

Lucky...wanna do mine?

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Yum...where's the other two?...

...new shocks up front and old shocks in the rear isn't going to be a very good Ultimate Driving Experience... :)

Registered Member
    Member No: 71563 kbud is on a distinguished road kbud's Avatar

Yes | No

Good luck

why did u choose Bilsteins and not coilover kit or koni's etc. just wondering

Thx

K-Bud ([email protected])
    Baltimore, MD
    Join the BMW E39 / 5 Series Group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347966936053

99' BMW E39 540iA Sp. (Prod. 11/98)
    Titanium Silver/Black
    06' Range Rover HSE (Prod. 6/22/05)
    Giverny Green/Aspen-Aspen-Ivory
    04' Lexus GX470 (Prod. 10/03)
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

Roadfly Member #71563 est. 06/03
    BMWCCA Member #312125 est. 04/03

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/Resonator Removed, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Any problem with install, let me know

Any problem with install, let me know.
    My email is cnn90 at netzero dot net.
    I can give you my cell phone number just in case you run into issues.

Again, read the DIY that I wrote carefully and you should be fine.

Cam

Eurodavid

Yes | No

bmw540san, is there any difference between

installing struts and springs on our 6 cyls vs an 8 cyl? Is it all basically the same in terms of removal procedure and so forth? I've popped my 6 cyl struts off about 3 times now, and almost feel like I can do it in my sleep. I'm to the point I don't even need to look at torque specs for anything anymore because I have them memorized. I'm not too sure that is a proud thing to be saying, as maybe it points to how much [Oops!] special care our e39s need.

Eurodavid

P.S. Driving tomorrow to go see a 2002 (I think, it may be 2001, he didn't say) 540i 6-spd. The guy is asking a lot. I am going to put the car up on a lift and go over it with a fine tooth comb. If there's anything you (or anyone else with a 540i) can tell me to look for on the manual 6-spd (other than issues like the valley pan, cooling system, alternator, leaking valve cover gaskets, cracked struts, and bad wheel bearings), I'd seriously would appreciate it. It's been so long since I drove a true v8 manual that I can't remember what to look for when you are trying to figure out if the clutch is going or not ;-(

piperguy

Yes | No

Re: bmw540san, is there any difference between

Can't vouch for the 6 spd (wish my wagon had one, but oh well), but on other performance cars, specifically when I bought my Vette and Mustang, if all else was good, I would take car out and at about 20 mph in third gear accelerate hard. This is enough speed that you're not going to hurt the engine lugging it but it also is going to produce pretty much max torque. if the clutch doesn't slip at that point and feels good otherwise, I would think you're in good shape clutchwise.

Otherwise, you've pretty much already listed where to look for problems. Only thing I would add is that if the radiator and water pump were changed, ask if they did the hoses too. Mine weren't changed and they are now failing one by one (never stranded on road just leaks .......)

Vaugahn

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Thanks, Piper! Will do the 20mph/3rd gear test

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Hmmmmmm

No diff. I would look very closely at the viscous fan. look for play or stiffness. If that fan locks up, it goes supersonic and spits blade everywhere.

Other than that the car is basically the same

Registered Member

Yes | No

If i were u i would just go into the negotiations

with the mentality that your replacing the clutch anyway along with changing all fluids so you know where you stand with maintenance and maintenance sked. Its what I do everytime I buy a car.

Baltimore, MD
    Join the BMW E39 / 5 Series Group here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=347966936053

Titanium Silver/Black
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

****Disclaimer: Down the page alot farther after all the absurd amount of pictures & vids I've posted of my current rides you'll find the "mods" for my BMW****

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:
    DINAN Stage II, DINAN Tranny SW, DINAN Fr. Strut Bar, RevHigh CAI w/ PC'd Gunmetal Metallic Pipe, Breyton Fr. Lip Spoiler, Fr. Lip RaceMesh Grill 5/8" PC'd Black, Hella Celis Clear Rears, Clear Fronts, Clear Sides, 19" RDSport S4's w/ Gunmetal Metallic PC'd Centers 19x9 et18 Fr. & 19x10 et20 Rr., Toyo T1R's 245/35 Fr. & 275/30 Rr., Eisenmann Sport Quad Exhaust w/Resonator Removed, McGard Wheel Locks, Rolled Rr. Fenders, ///M5 Rr. Wheel Liners, H&R Sp. Springs, Koni Adj. Sp. Struts, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings, ///M5 Fr. Brakes w/ SS Lines, Brembo Rr. Brakes w/SS Lines, Axxis Deluxe Brake Pads, ///M5 Fr. & Rr. Swaybars, ///M5 Kidney Grills, ///M5 Brushed Gauge Rings, 2.25" Magnaflow High Flow Cats, ///M-Tech Rr. Bumper, ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler, ///M5 Style Side Mirrors ,DDE Xenon Match Angel Eyes, Xenon Match H7 Fog Bulbs, AC Schnitzer Alum. Pedals, Denso Iridium Plugs, In-Dash Business CD Player, Blk. Metallic Int. Trim, Brushed Alum. & Blk. Lthr. Shift Selector Knob, 35% Window Tint, Homelink UGDO, Trunk Storage Bin, Carbon Fiber Roundels, Black ///M Logo Oil Cap, Fr. Plate Delete, Black BMW Rr. Tag Holder, & Debadged

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: If i were u i would just go into the negotiations

Kbud,

Would ya say about $1k or $1.5k or $2k for me to do a full clutch job (I guess I should assume the worst and that the flywheel won't be able to be resurfaced & will need replaced)???

This dude is asking too much in my opinion (nearly $10k), and it is nowhere near your car (or anyone's on RF here). Thus, I want to have everything straight in my head before I put a number on my lips. Subtract $1k or $2k in my head for me to do the clutch??

Thanks!!

Eurodavid

Registered Member

Yes | No

i'm not the best to ask on this one probably but

i'd imagine you can build in $1500 in maintenance and service you want to perform and you'll be in the ballpark within $500 either side of the $1500

Baltimore, MD

Titanium Silver/Black
    Ash Blue Mica/Dark Gray

Lexus rf sig
    Da Boy's Ride

Mods to Date:

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

You better buy it. (m)

Check the rear carpets for door leakage. Look in the spare tire well for signs of water, the battery campartment for signs of leakage. Inside the fuel door for rust.
    Make sure the syncro's don't grind.
    You didn't mention mileage, I did my clutch at ~105K and the flywheel was fine. The other parts will run about ~$700 from the dealer, a bit less from some discount houses.
    I did a post when I changed mine, you do need a few not to common tools, not a big deal, you can make them.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

To check the clutch on a 6 speed

Ask if the clutch delay valve was removed and when. If it has 80 - 100k and it's never had a clutch, it needs one soon. I like Pipers clutch test method, but would do it in the higher gears. When the clutch slips it's usually top gear first, when the engine is trying to push max torque against the higher resistance of the high gear.

To check the transmission for wear in the synchros: If the car is cold try shifting through the gears with the engine off and your foot on the clutch. You want the lever to slide into each gate fairly easily. Expect more resistance in the lower gears. Then start the car, and do the same thing if it gets harder to shift into the lower gears the synchros are worn. First to second and second to third shifts should be scrutinized, those synchros see the most abuse.

After doing all this offer him 8k and drive it home.
    Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Thanks, Vin!!!

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: You better buy it. (m)

Jim,

I remember your posts on the clutch, and have most if not all saved on my desktop. I haven't seen the 540i yet, but judging by the last 540i I just recently saw, I am not trying to get my hopes up. But, that said, even if it only has been lightly taken care of and it is in not too bad of shape, I am going to make him an offer. I don't know the mileage on the car because the guy didn't know it either when I called him this morning after hearing about the car from someone else. I reached him in his office and he said he honestly didn't know the mileage, not even when I asked him an "approximate" number. Now that I think about it, maybe that is a bad sign ;-(, as in he abused the peeee out of the car.... ;-(

Oh well, I will know tomorrow afternoon if he shows up to the lift meeting place that I made the appt at.

Thanks for the tips!

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

nice!! u gotta see my e30 garage full of parts

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 300k (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd 180k (daily driver)

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Update

Hi all! First, I want to again say thank you to everyone that helped with replies yesterday.

I drive 45 mins out to see the car, and within 10 secs I couldn't believe what I saw. Short end of the story, he thought a 5-spd steptronic w/ overdrive is the same thing as a 6-spd manual. I felt like clobbering him upside the head, as he speaks English (or so I think). I still look at the car out of curiosity, and this is what I found:

1) valley pan is leaking at the backside where JimLev before told me to look
    2) both valve covers are leaking, not bad, but weeping ever so little and no one has ever cleaned them off
    3) p/s steering reservoir and hoses are leaking.
    4) radiator looked good, in fact, looked like it had been recently changed, as well as the water pump (he had a bill for the water pump, couldn't find the rad one).
    5) had 171,000 kms on the clock. I asked him what year, he immediately said it was a 2001 (though he said he never received a manual and/or any paperwork with the car). It then struck me that there was no Vanos on the car, and I went "WTF"?! I then told him that best to my knowledge, after 1997-to-mid-1998, vanos started appearing on all 540s, euro-versions and american-versions alike (this car is an euro version). He was skeptical, so I looked on the underneath hood badge,at the back of the hood, and pointed to him where where it said 1997! He genuinely looked surprised. I then brought up RealOem on the Iphone, punched in the car's last seven vin, and showed what year his car was. I think the guy honestly thought he bought a 2001 (he's only owned it for 6 months). I then told him that the 6k euros (about $9,500 US bucks) he wask asking was so far out of the ballpark for what the car is worth, that it wasn't even funny. Told him at max I'd give, that is if I was even interested, $4000 US dollars, especially given the condition of the car and what I saw from the engine bay.
    6) the only good thing about the car was the interior was a deep gray leather, fairly clean, the battery and rear wheel well was good ( strangely, though, the interior of the gas lid area was seriously rusted, not sure what this meant). Also, it has really nice rims and 18in wheels. Lastly, the previous owner spent about $3k 2 years ago and had the front and rear suspensions completely redone, along with brakes and new rotors.

Still, I do not want another steptronic, especially at 170000+ kms. I want a 6-spd, so i can rebuild the clutch and drive in peace, plus have the joy of having a manual at my fingertips.

So, after wasting nearly 2 hours in driving time to go see this car, once again I feel like there just isn't one 540 in Belgium and/or the Netherlands that are worth a nickel. Yet, in America, it seems to
    rain 540s everywhere.

Thanks again, everyone.

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Keep looking, you'll find one.

"Drive It Like You Stole It, A Sickness for Quickness"
    The Bottle Rocket "King of Spray" 2 Stage Nitrous Oxide
    Dare to be different and stand out among the crowd of me-to-cars!
    No guts, no glory! Tire smoke, not traction control!
    Zionsville all aluminum radiator to replace the 3 leak prone Nissens Radiators!

NOS Progressive 2 Stage Controller with port injection
    Snow's Performance Methanol/Water Injection
    Dinan downloads, VAC Under Drive Pulleys
    Dinan Carbon Fiber CAI
    Dinan Front Strut Bar
    Electric Cooling Fan w/PWM controller
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    DDE Enhanced Angel Eyes, Smoked Lenses
    Koni FSD's/H&R Springs, BAV Brass Caliper Bushings
    Eisenmann Race Exhaust (from H8-Rain's car)
    ///M5 3.15 LSD
    ///M5 Sway Bars, Front & Rear
    Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings
    ///M5 Gauge Cluster Rings ///M5 Lip Spoiler
    ///M5 Mirrors and Switches
    Leather Z weighted shift knob (thanks H8-Rain)
    Rogue ôOctaneö Short Shift kit w/WSR
    Rogue Tranny Mounts
    StopTech Brake Lines Front & Rear
    Axxis Deluxe Plus pads Front & Rear
    Staggered M Parallel 66, Xenons
    Modified CDV, UGDO
    Euro Storage Tray (thanks Zombywolf)
    Redline in Diff and Tranny
    Passport 8500 X50, Escort ZR3 Laser Jammer
    G-Tech/Competition Pro Data Logger
    Auto Enginuity OBD-II Scan Tool
    25% Tint, X-Pel, LoJack
    PIAA Driving Lights
    BMW CCA Member Boston Chapter

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: bmw540san, is there any difference between

Euro, sorry I didn't response earlier. I had some internet issues and I was extremely busy. It seems other guys helped you out. Maybe next time it'll be one worth buying it.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option