+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 167585 ETobing is an unknown quantity at this point ETobing's Avatar

Yes | No

Steering Column Adjustment Lever

Hi all, yesterday I managed to fix the horn swivel under the steering wheel. The thin metal part wrapped in plastic resin was broken--probably caused by improper mounting by previous owner--unable to deliver electrical current.

The horn is now functioning but the steering column adjustment lever all of a sudden dead. I didn't recall disconnecting any of the wires. Anyone can help what has gone wrong? I checked the fuse and it's fine. Thanks.

Rgds,
    Enrico Tobing

528i E39 1997
    Automatic ZF 5HP18

Ed CT

Yes | No

Is your electric seat adjustment out, too?

If so, there's a connector under the driver seat, left side, behind the plastic cover, that gets loose (do you guys drive on the right down there?) You can pull that plastic panel off to re-seat the connector.

Registered Member
    Member No: 167585 ETobing is an unknown quantity at this point ETobing's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Is your electric seat adjustment out, too?

Yup! that's right. Thanks Ed, I have rectify the thing and seat and steering column are fine now. Never thought it is linked before. The great thing was my horn is back now. I was so close to spend more than $200 to get it fixed!

I am changing the vanos hose tomorrow. How long will it take to do the job normally? Any special tools?

Rgds,
    Enrico Tobing

528i E39 1997
    Automatic ZF 5HP18

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Is your electric seat adjustment out, too?

Enrico,
    If you're talking about the oil fitting hose that connects to the back of the VANOS near the front of the head, that is easily taken off with an open end wrench - you'll get a little oil discharge from the VANOS, so a rag under it will keep things clean.

I have not had to disconnect the other end of it, so, I can't speak on that and don't know where it attaches. If it goes under the intake manifold, take a look at it to see if you can access that end before you start the project (just to make sure that you don't need to remove the whole intake manifold to get to it!)
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information