+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 96320 BoulderBill is an unknown quantity at this point BoulderBill's Avatar

Yes | No

2011 550 or 335 - any thoughts

Coming up on 10 years of love and sporadic financial misery with my E39. Been hearing some good buzz on the new 5's replacing the E60's.
    Any thoughts out there. Can these match up to our cars for pure driving pleasure.

I would love to hear the thoughts of the experts on our cars!

Thanks!

Bill
    2002 540i 6sp
    Black/Black2002 540i/6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 89868 540nj is an unknown quantity at this point 540nj's Avatar

Yes | No

nice review on the 550i

in latest Car and Driver (or is it R and T?)

If I was looking, a 400HP 550i6 wouldn't be too bad of a choice.

dave
    03 540i6

ME_264

Yes | No

Re: nice review on the 550i

A nice 5 series with 400HP? I'm thinking of getting one... A 2003 M5 of course! One in Blue with the racer boy blue seats that's been lovingly maintained with the records to prove it... A friend has the 550 with the 6speed. Cool car, I just wouldn't want to either pay for it, or pay to have it worked on.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96320 BoulderBill is an unknown quantity at this point BoulderBill's Avatar

Yes | No

Oops - meant 550 or 535

2002 540i/6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 134681 dave0mary is an unknown quantity at this point dave0mary's Avatar

Yes | No

Drove 550

I had a few idle hours out of town last summer; stopped by a BMW dealer, not looking ... but just wanted to see a new 5. Salesman hadn't driven a 550 2011 either ... he said "let's go!". (Twists my arm). Anyway, I was thrilled for the chance since Car and Driver lambasted the electric steering. I am, of course, a little older now. At 60, I still LOVE the intuitive and dynamic feel of the e39 530 ... and this new 550 was pretty close. What very little it lacked in the same steering feel, it gained in raw torque! WOW!! Also, IMHO, I thought the interior was an upgrade from the e60. Note: the 550 I drove was not a sport. I imagine the dynamic handling pkg (contains sport pkg) would make the car much more responsive. The "M sport pkg" might be even better yet. Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Need to drive one myself. . . . Then I need to find a bag of money! :)2002 540i/6 speed

Richard V

Yes | No

If you think the 4.4l V8 had issues, look at the

cost of this water leak in the newer V-8 engine. Only BMW can come up with this type of engine construction. You need to almost dissassemble the engine to replace the water tube from front to back of engine. It took some independent to come up with a $1600 fix instead of $6000-$9000 dealer fix. This is increadable...

Homer

Yes | No

Re: If you think the 4.4l V8 had issues, look at the

What BMW has done to their cars with the totally asinine gizmos makes me livid. I wouldnt consider buying one for a min. When my car is used up I'll hunt down the little old lady with a 97 Fiver in her garage with low miles. Ill continue that until the gasoline or I am used up. (How about the genius behind proximity start-up in other makes! People are dying because their car is starting in an attached garage! What kind of moron thinks that any piece of equipment should be enabled to start itself? Gheesh)

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

It's kind of sad, seeing BMW load up these >>

cars with all the fancy electronics, especially the stuff which requires that the car be "introduced" to a new battery! This is outrageous! I'm not aware of any other car on the market with this "feature".

BTW, at this point, only the dealer can perform this "introduction"; that means that you get to buy the overpriced BMW battery.

Don't get me started on the dipstick.

I will no doubt have to change brands when my car needs to be replaced.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Boulder Bill

Yes | No

Solid Observations Ed

So what should I check out? I stopped by a MB dealer and kicked the tires of a few E350/E550s. Didn't bother to take one out for a drive. The lines weren't very clean and that hood ornament made me feel like an old man.

Any suggestions out there?

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

Battery intro+Runflats+No dipstick = FAIL

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
    00 540is 6spd 180k (daily driver)

Steve

Yes | No

+1

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

My son introduced his E90 with diagnostic software

So you can do it at home if you have a laptop, diagnostic cable, and diagnostic software. Entry price for software and cable 350.00

And yeah it's rediculous. Just another way to pry money out of the rich folks in the name of technology.

And don't get me started on no dipsticks either!!!

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Where did he get the sw and cable?

Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

I'll write back later with the info we are looking

at an E24 this evening. Going to drive it, put it up on the lift and look it over.

I'll get back with you with the info. He really likes it. with his software you can only register 3 VINs, for 700.00 I think you get unlimited VIV registration. He can do a ton of stuff with that package including pulsing the ABS to change brake fluid.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

Bimmer5Michael

doctorgonzo

Yes | No

...which should be in 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

Crusader

Yes | No

New 5er more of a 7 ...

Nice enough car, though I've heard the electric steering isn't very connected (particularly when one considers the E39 R&P). Seemed OK on my brief test drive.

I'm considering an E9x, but not without some trepidation. Very nice to drive and there seems to be a reasonable amount of enthusiast DIY (ever look at the E60 board ... these guys wouldn't THINK about changing their own oil). Still leary ... no dipstick, battery "marriage" etc. This choice is going to take some thought ... but what else is there? Well, another E39 or E46 ... but then there's the problem of whether you get somebody's beloved mistress or much abused W****.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information