+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wipers

Registered Member
    Member No: 185033 xraystokes is an unknown quantity at this point xraystokes's Avatar

Yes | No

wipers

Registered Member
    Member No: 185033 xraystokes is an unknown quantity at this point xraystokes's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: wipers

Opps, missed the text portion of the post.

Anyway, I have a similar wiper issue that others have posted about. The system will randomly stop wiping mid swipe and then start back up if I turn the engine off/on. But, it will happen again, again and then be fine for miles and miles. Occasionally it won't settle back to the park position when I turn it off. And, it has also decided on it's own to cycle more than once (up to 5+ times) when I have it in the intermittent mode. In other words instead of one swipe every "x" seconds it does 2-5+ swipes every "x" seconds.

One mechanic replaced the body control module and the fuse box, as well as checking the harness. he said the relay was fine. I'm beginning to doubt that. I do not have rain sensors (whatever that is)

As an aside, the hydraulic motor for the top has stopped due to moisture (make sure to clean those drains!). That's a $1600 job that I would like to put off unless it is clearly related.

I'm suspecting, possibly wrong, that the electrical connection is sending errors/shorts into the system and the wipers are reacting to that.

Now, I'm not an electrician - that I know.

I'm taking the car to the dealer on Tuesday and I figure they will replace the relay, even if it seems fine.

I have found info on this forum that suggests it could be the wiper motor as it "talks" back to the computer.

Mount Tamalpais drive in Marin County

2003 Z4 2.5i

Manny

Yes | No

Not to steal this thread-but where are the drains for the power top?

Registered Member
    Member No: 81922 Dr._Spa is an unknown quantity at this point Dr._Spa's Avatar

Yes | No

I don't remember where I got this, and I'm sure I should be crediting someone (there's some credits at the top of it), but here's a PDF on cleaning the drains, which shows where they are;

http://www.rhtubs.com/ebay/2006+ Z4 Clean droptop drains.pdf

User Level 1
    Member No: 198448 tennesseez4 is an unknown quantity at this point tennesseez4's Avatar

Yes | No
    Not sure if you've fixed this yet, but my 05 z4 3.0i had the same problem. Turns out it was an accumilation of excess grease in the gearbox that prevented the contacts from making. Easy fix, remove the wipers and wiper cover. take out the 6 or 8 screws on top of the gearbox and clean the excess grease out. Mine hasn't missed a beat since I cleaned mine out.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.210.8.169

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information