+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 118994 sixpack_7 is an unknown quantity at this point sixpack_7's Avatar

Yes | No

Valve tick when warm

I have an interesting problem with my 05' X3. M54 engine. I has a valve tick but only after the engine warms up for a few minutes.

The story started out with water getting into my crank case. Not a lot but enough to get into the Crank case vent valve and stick it closed and blow out my valve cover gasket. I replaced all associated parts and changed the oil but the tick remains. I was told of a bleed procedure of holding the engine at 3k RPM for a few minutes but that didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas? I REALLY don't want to take it to the dealer. I am fairly handy with tools and am confident i can do just about anything that needs to be done to check it out or fix it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49642 beecee is an unknown quantity at this point beecee's Avatar

Yes | No

May just need to add some oil

Registered Member
    Member No: 6805 hlgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point hlgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Valve tick when warm

All valves tick, or just one? Valve ticking when warm was a sign of weak oil pressure, a weak oil pump, and it showed up at idle when the oil got warm and thinned out, but that was years ago. If its just one it could be damage or debris. Hydraulic valves are not supposed to need adjusting, but sometimes do.

You might try a thicker oil. Slightly higher viscosity, but still within normal range, and still Mobil One.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information