+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

OT: So, I went over to the dark side. . .

Sold the 328is, and replaced it with this behemoth!

Now I have twins of a different father

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

If I were to buy any other series from BMW...

it would be an X5.

I think that the X series is wonderful and the 5 fits me with room to spare.

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

We actually sold both Z3 and bought an...

..X3... I found the X5 too big for our needs and the wife didn't like the 3-series wagon that I liked.
    ---------------------------------

2003 Z4 2.5i
    2002 Ducati Monster S4

Registered Member
    Member No: 169665 mechanicsc is an unknown quantity at this point mechanicsc's Avatar

Yes | No

X5's are really impressive...

I got to drive an X5 and an X5-M at the Performance Driving Center over at the South Carolina factory last October. The advantage of living in BMW's back yard and having a girlfriend who knows how to buy REALLY good birthday presents. :)

Drove the X5 on their off-road course, and was really impressed with it. They have a three-foot deep "river" you can drive it through, and opposite-wheel "moguls" where the instructor would get the X5 up on two diagonally opposite wheels, with the other wheels hanging in mid-air, and open and close the doors to show how structurally rigid it is (up on two wheels like that twists the vehicle something fierce). Really impressive... I initially thought the X5 was a grocery getter, but it really has the goods.

Also drove the X5-M on their track, and was really impressed with the 556hp engine. Liked driving the regular M5 better, but the X5-M was really something for a SUV.

Enjoy your new ride!

mechanicsc
    2002 Z3 3.0i

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 69391
    Inner Circle ©136 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

not to burst your bubble

i owned a X5 for about 1 year....it was the BIGGEST POS i EVER owned. i will NEVER own another one. not a day went by that i wasn't having to fix something on that crappy thing.

window guides....A/C constantly made weird noises and went out. front axle boots ripped (normal there). window weatherstripping, front grill tabs breaking, roundel busted on front (paint inside), rear windshield wiper not working right and seal leaking. trunk latch press= hug pos! A/C control panel lights flickering. bottom weatherstripping on front doors....tabs breaking.

and this was an CPO car.....yeah right.....the mechanic was on a hiatus the day i got it i think.

over all it just sucked, but maybe i just got a crappy one and you will have a better one. i wish you much luck.

i traded that pos on a Hummer H2....haven't had to do a single thing to the hummer yet! it just works.

maybe the 4.4 is better....i had the 3.0

Hank

Registered Member
    Member No: 4787 rustyh is an unknown quantity at this point rustyh's Avatar

Yes | No

Do what? You're bashing an X5 for poor quality

yet you bought a Hummer and think it's going to be a better experience? lol Dude, other than it's pathetic gas mileage numbers, there are reasons they can't give those things away these days. (and didn't they recently discontinue it as well, or did I misunderstand?)

Sorry, not to burst your bubble (and I wouldn't be if you hadn't so inconsiderately tried to rain on Giznaz's parade), but the Hummer's reputation for poor quality is legendary. Evidently you didn't do a lot of homework before you bought it. And then of course there's the whole depreciation aspect of it being worth what I figure to be about .10 cents on the dollar, best case, for what you paid for it the moment you drove it off the lot.

Sorry, but that's reality. Good luck with that re-dressed Suburban.

Joe

Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

Whoa there Folks!!! Stand easy now.

First off, Hank, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with an X5. That had to suck, especially after all the effort you put into your Z car to make it what it is.

Joe, No need to slam Hank for his choice. It worked for him, so it's all cool.

For me? I was looking at Toyota Tacoma's, VW Touaregs, and just decided that the X5 was going to be it. Truly it isn't my style at all. It's the first automatic that I've purchased for *me* since my GMC 4WD pickup in the mid '70's. I'm a sporty car driver, since I got my license. Mazda RX2's, VW Cabriolet's, Z3's, the 328. Had my share of older Dodge vans and pickups too. A couple Ford vans in there, but those were for my wife. Those wheels were all because they were what was needed, not necessarily what was wanted.

This thing is a behemoth, but my need is for a hauler. I've spent the last year and a half using the 328is as a pickup truck, or borrowing my son's Touareg. He's tired of those phone calls.
    This fits the bill, was cheaper than the Toyota, not too much more bux than the Touaregs, and it's still a BMW.

Issues? I'm positive it will have them, it's 7 years old with 90K. I'll deal with them as they arise.

Heck, I'm still a Z3'er with mine to drive and ZeattleDave's to fix! Life remains good.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Must say the the X3 is the same exact thing...

...LOTS of things going wrong it: 84,000 and 6 years old on the car and already failed smog as a GROSS POLLUTER!!!!!!!!!! It turned out to be the "normal" BMW crap: intake booth, DISA, cyclonic oil separator... It rained once in SoCal and the entire rear carpet got flooded... Took it on the snow, and I never felt more insecure... My wife too, as passenger said: "The Z4 seems to handle better in the snow than the X3"...

Thing is I came to learn BMW inside out so I can fix them myself... Otherwise I would wake away from any of the "newer" stuff and probably stick with old school E30 when BMW was less about gadgetry and posers and more about good car making...

The Z3 was the epitome of BMW POS... Yet still love it... Dunno what the heck is wrong with me...

Probably all car manufacturer are the same these days so no news here... But let's be real among ourself... BMW are far from being quality cars... Probably just BETTER quality than something else, but for me, far from an absolute quality standard...

2003 Z4 2.5i
    2002 Ducati Monster S4

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Re: X5's are really impressive...

My wife and I drove an X6 on that same course you described when we were at the last Z3 homecoming. We were stunned at how versatile it was. Not sure how it would be after 80,000 or 90,000 miles but we sure liked it too.

Registered Member
    Member No: 100814 prdz3 is an unknown quantity at this point prdz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe, but you won't see James Bond driving one.

Phil '97 1.9 Montreal Blue

Registered Member

Yes | No

The X6 is definitely IMPRESSIVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYm_fxjyAYs

Pathetic...

2003 Z4 2.5i
    2002 Ducati Monster S4

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No

I love Top Gear!

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

Inner Circle ©136 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Do what? You're bashing an X5 for poor quality

actually this is a huge misconception that the general public makes of these things. have you owned an H2?.....if not...then you really don't know. you just know what people have told you or what you have read. then again you are only reading this too, but at least i actually own one. and i actually owned an x5 too....i more hoped that my comments helped Giznaz find problem areas on his...or at least help to keep an eye out for these problems.

the biggest misconception of the H2 is the gas mileage....yeah it ain't great....but honestly...my 2001 5.4 F150 gets about 11 in the city if i'm lucky, the H2 gets around 12-13 in the city. i bet you it can't be any worse than half the huge trucks on the road today. it just has a bad rap with the enviro nuts because it is the SUV of SUVs so they attack it as the top dog.

i have taken it offroad, it doesn't sit in a parking lot and jump curbs. i've had it in mudd up to my knees and never got stuck once. it is truely one fun SUV. i can haul tons of stuff and more than enough people too. it comes stock with things that most 4x4 trucks don't have.

it is also not a rebadged suburban. the cadillac escalade is a rebadged burb....on the H2 the entire frame is a 3 piece fully strengthened design. it is nothing like the tahoe/yukon/suburbans. the only thing the same is the engine and trans and a few interior pieces (front seats, radio, etc)....which was smart for GM to do as they are proven motors/trans, plus that helps them with replacement parts on the powertrain which gets used more than anything. everything else is completely its own.

mine doesn't have a bunch of chrome all over it, no sunroof, no dvd nav.....all i have is the leather.

the resell value is also a misconception. the reason they stopped making them isn't because they sucked...it is because GM is lousy with money and the economy tanked. they couldn't afford to produce them anymore and the chinese peeps couldn't afford to buy it, so they folded the make. which actually worked out for me. the resale value actually went up because they don't make them anymore. i'm glad too....i mean just think how hard it would have been to sell an American Icon once a Chinese company owned it. yeah right.... the trade in value on my H2 has held at the same for the last 1.5 years. it was falling when the turmoil was happening, but now that it is over it is solid. soon you will see....alot more people will want one because of the fact that they are gone now. i have paid down negative equity in that time period and actually now only owe what it is worth.

i didn't buy it new either. it was CPO and is still under warranty. and i took a risk....i bought it when things were sucking for Hummer....so i got it really really cheap...and now that the value is good again....i'm ahead. it is a 2006 w/57k on it now.

and the service is even better now too. since the make stopped....i can now go to select non Hummer dealers to get repairs/parts. which means i don't have to drive 100 miles away to get to the dealership where i bought it. i can now go to the cadillac dealer down the road.

i'm not saying it is perfect as it is human made and mechanical, but so far....nothing bad yet....nothing like that x5 i owned. i may have just had a crappy x5 to begin with....we will never know. but i do know that i got a much better H2 just in the time that i have owned it....which has been far more than the time i owned the X5.

the x5 felt more underpowered than my H2 does now. it felt like a huge heavy tank. and considering the z3 is aging....it needs lovin.....but i don't drive it all the time...so luckily for me....it holds together good....minus the rear window recently. but i'm guessing if i drove it daily rain or shine....it would be a different story.

all that is for sure is that somewhere someone has a huge POS H2 and somewhere someone has a great X5. it all just depends. hopefully for me and Giznaz...its great for both of us.

Giznaz i really do wish you luck. and if i can help and can remember what i did to fix things....hit me up.

Yes | No

Re: X5's are really impressive...

we drove the x5 on that same course and were impressed and that is ultimitly why we ended up with one....but you can see what happened after 80-90k miles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes! Now you can pick up larger parts for my Z!

Congrats! You might need that this week with the snow...

Boston Green M Roadster

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

Speaking of gas mileage and big vehicles.

I have a '08 GMC Sierra 5.3 crew cab farm truck. It has surprised me with getting 19mpg in all around driving. I did put a tonneau cover on the bed and this helped it gaining 2mpg. In 50+k miles nothing has broken, only been to the dealer for free oil changes. It has exceeded my expectations in many ways and is my daily driver now. There are good vehicles from all manufacturers so its not good to generalize. IMHO
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information