+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 13388 mfling is an unknown quantity at this point mfling's Avatar

Yes | No

Catalyst time

Son brings the hand-me-down 92 850 back from school last weekend saying it won't pass smog. Sure enough, catalyst failed on the left side due to a long-term vacuum leak (high CO at idle with CE light out). Anybody know a decent, yet cheaper OE replacement? Better yet, anybody have a donor catalyst out of a parts car they're willing to sell?

Sheesh.

Harold

Yes | No

I've got your solution

hit me up on FB..

Registered Member
    Member No: 13367 mac840 is an unknown quantity at this point mac840's Avatar

Yes | No

Other than oem the only other converter I

heard of with BMW mentioned in the same sentence are DEC catalytic converters. They are rumored to work well. I think they are around 350.00 each, I priced them a while ago for my 840. On a side note I took my car in for a smog test in New Jersey today. They got rid of all safety inspections just smog now. Great! Junkers galore coming to a theater near you! I was nervous I was going to fail with a nikasil block and 185k on the motor. My co was close to the limit 2 years ago. I passed! They don't even give you the results anymore! Would of liked to have seen them. Anyway I'm sure you know that the oem ones are expensive. Good luck!

nyguy

Yes | No

Re: Catalyst time

Try http://www.deccats.com # BMW81452 Looks like a direct replacement

nyguy

Yes | No

or

http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/catalytic/part.php?make=3&year=1992&model=923&part=22

nyguy

Registered Member
    Member No: 50175 adciocca is an unknown quantity at this point adciocca's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: or

I have the Magnaflow mufflers and no problems with them. I would think that the cats will be good as well.
    Thanks,
    Antonio

1991 BMW 850i (black-USA)

Registered Member
    Member No: 13388 mfling is an unknown quantity at this point mfling's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks all

Since I wanted stainless steel and the cat had to be "Californicated", I went with Magnaflow and will have the muffler shop weld them in.

Nyguy

Yes | No

Great to see an original member..Thank You

RonP

Yes | No

Re: Thanks all

Mark please update after your cat procedure. I'm due for CA smog real soon. The last smog I was told cats were bad. I'm @ 139k miles. Want to weigh options as to your choice vs. direct fit from some of the sites given earlier. I know OEM style will cost more. Anyone done the OEM style direct fit?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information