+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MemphisTomC

Yes | No

Thanks - I'm there - Kinda Sorta

Thanks again Mike

I did the setup as you suggested and, while it took some tweaking with the amp settings, I have a sound I'm very happy with. The behind the seat speakers have really perked up and add a great fullness they never did before.

At this point I don't think I'll miss the subs but I can always put in a second amp just for them. If I understand correctly I can just run RCAs from the new Alpine amp to a mono amp and run the subs from there. Sound reasonable? I think I can also pick up the sub output from the head unit but that would mean running more cables through the console.

I'm still monkeying with the fader and balance controls which don't seem to be working as usual.

Now it's time to settle everything in the trunk. Lot's of wires to organize! I mounted the amp on a piece of gray carpet-covered plywood and am planning on using the idea from here of industrial strength Velcro to hold it in place on the carpet. I'm not sure about the crossovers...options include: also mounted on a piece of wood and Velcro'd beside the amp?...Mounted to a board mounted to the bracket from the stock amp? Any other suggestions anyone?

Thanks again to all who helped, especially to Mike for the early help and the suggested layout, Monolith for the early direction and info, and WB-MZ for the idea that helped me understand better what I was doing or trying to do.

This board has been an amazing source of information and help over the 13 years I've had the M. I'm usually willing to try anything with the car knowing I can either find info in the archives or someone willing to give a hand.

MikeinNH

Yes | No

Regarding the fader/balance

If your RCA cables from the head unit are hooked up correctly (front outputs on the JVC head unit to channels 1&2 on the amp, left and right hooked up correctly at both ends, etc.) the fader & balance should work as normal.
    Thanks for the call-out - whatever modest car audio knowledge I have is the result of people on this board helping me with all my questions, about 12 years ago... I learned a lot here - So I try to pay that back.

MemphisTomC

Yes | No

The simple answer

There are no rear RCA outs on the head unit. Duh!!!

What a novice! I assumed one jack was for front and the other for rear but I never thought it through.

If I want a front-rear setup I need 2-channel line level converter to take the signal from the original rear speaker wires (radio to amp) and end in a male RCA plug.

I just drove top down and even the way it's set up with no discreet rear sound, it sounds great. So much better than stock..and what a learning experience.

MikeinNH

Yes | No

No, you don't...

You're not off that easy - the Alpine MRP F300 has a feature called speaker level inputs. There should be a 'plug' that came with the amp - you run the speaker wires in the trunk that came from the head unit (not the RCAs) on their way to the amp into that plug (you'll probably have to splice in wire) and then plug them into the speaker input section of the Alpine amp. Voila!

MemphisTomC

Yes | No

Well....

The instructions with the amp said specifically to not to use the RCAs and the speaker level inputs at the same time.

Are they being overcautious?

MikeinNH

Yes | No

Well...

You can disconnect the RCAs (leave 'em in place in case you decide to try a different head unit) and run all four speakers via the speaker level inputs, or, as you mentioned, get a couple of line-level converters and use them to power the rear speakers... The line levelers are ok, it's just something else you have to secure & hide away...

MemphisTomC

Yes | No

Re: Well...

Do I lose anything going from RCAs to speaker level inputs?

MikeinNH

Yes | No

At this point...

I'd go for the line-levelers and keep the RCAs for the front channels. Using speaker-level inputs is considered less 'clean' as you are essentially double-amplifying the original signal; once at the head unit, and again at the amplifier. Convertibles are less-than-pristine listening environments anyway, so you'd probably never notice a difference, but since you've already run the RCAs and the Blaupunkts will benefit from the amp's power (vice the headunit), I'd go with the line-levelers... You could tuck them under the trunk cover on the right side, beneath were the CD changer goes - there's some space down there...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information