+ Reply to Thread
    dave c

Yes | No

Blown heater motor transistor.

I have continued problems with my heater motor blowing the transistor. This time I ensured that the shaft of the motor was well oiled and it moves very freely. I upgraded the transistor to a more durable 2N3772 one. Thinking that my poor soldering may be creating a dry joint, I even got a friend who is experienced in soldering to fit the transistor for me. The assembly was well cleaned and heat sink was applied beneath the transistor. Still the thing blew within 2 months.
    Anybody got any ideas as this problem is driving me mad.
    Thanks in advance

Registered Member
    Member No: 165856 LeeDKaiser is an unknown quantity at this point LeeDKaiser's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Blown heater motor transistor.

Frustrating. Sounds like you did everything right.

If it were me, I'd buy a new blower motor, which go for about $60 new, last I saw.

Lee

dave c

Yes | No

Hi,
    Based on the info provided, is it time to replace the motor? Seems a shame as it appears to rotate freely enough. Is there a way of diagnosing whether its the motor which is frying the transistor or not??
    thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 109965 blackbirdxx is an unknown quantity at this point blackbirdxx's Avatar

Yes | No

I have been advised that the problem could be the capacitor on the assembly allowing the voltage to spike. Anyone know the spec of this item and whether they have had any luck with replacing it??

craig

Yes | No

Worn brushes on the motor, when they are too far gone they will allow much more current pulling the collector to result in Imax failure or
    input base to emitter junction current is too high as a result of the temp control resistor in the dash panel.
    New Blower motor

Registered Member
    Member No: 65692 TaylorM is an unknown quantity at this point TaylorM's Avatar

Yes | No

There's no capacitor. There's a transistor &

potentiometer inside the rotary on dash switch and the external transistor that you've changed. You need a new motor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information