+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 35540 TCACEK is an unknown quantity at this point TCACEK's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil question - capacity

Changed oil this weekend. Bentley states 8 US quarts. I put in 7 and the oil level was at the top of the dip stick. I only drained out 5+ quarts but dip stick prior to change was about half way on dip stick marker. Can one loose that much oil (2-3 quarts) and still have a full reading on the dip stick? Front end of car was on jack stands so i am not sure if the non parallel position had anything to do with it. Your comments please.
    325Xi, 04, 73K

Also bently states to change large O ring on filter cannister screw top. I did not get one in the new Mann filter box and there was not one on the old filter. Interesting.

jayb

Yes | No

Re: Oil question - capacity

No O ring? Where did you have your oil changed last? Hopefully it was not one of those jiffy Lube type of places that almost distroyed the engine on one of my prior cars. And you went ahead and did the oil change without adding the O ring. NO NO No.
    My E46 328i/2000 takes 6.7 quarts. I do oil changes myself and the oil dip stick level, and the amount removed compared to the added amount is exact. If the dip stick is exactly full, I will take out about 6.5 qts. if it is down from the full line, maybe 6 qts. Never had s situation with 6 quarts removed and not being able to dd 6.5 qts. Since I use an oil pump, the Ring is not a problem--BUT I have a bag of rings that I purchased years ago from the dealer, I think they charged 5 cents each (just keep them in the car in case). If you asked I would have been glad to drive over and give you a O ring.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

If you have the oil filter housing cap installed

with no oil ring, I'd want to buy one (at the dealer) and get it installed. I assume you've run your engine and seen no leaks? Even at that, I'd not want to run without one.
    Every filter I have comes with a new O ring.

Yes, the xi should have eight quarts of oil, but I'm not sure what effect jack stands might have on draining an xi. I have used ramps for my Ci and had all the oil drain out.

michaelgvh

Yes | No

Re: Oil question - capacity

Did you run the car for a minute or two before doing the oil change?
    It drains much better if it's just a little bit warm. You don't want it at scalding temps since it will hurt you as the drain plug comes out, but a little warm allows it all to drain much quicker and more completely.
    Not sure about the jack stands... I usually do mine on front jack stands only with no problem getting the full amount out. You could run your rear tires up on some ramps or a couple 2x8 boards to level it a little bit if you feel like it.
    I have a set of low ramps around always to get a floor jack under the car more easily anyway.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136377 PKile is an unknown quantity at this point PKile's Avatar

Yes | No

What about the other O-rings?

I've always been curious about the two little green O-rings that appear to be part of the bypass plunger under the oil filter housing cap. I keep a few of those around to replace when I change the oil, but when I asked for them at my dealer parts counter, they acted like no one had ever asked for them before. They also are not provided with replacement oil filters. I do recall the manual recommends replacement of those O-rings at an oil filter change.Cheers,
    Paul Kile

Registered Member

Yes | No

You are exactly correct, Bentley does say to

replace the small o rings at every oil change. And my dealer had to order them for me too.
    Not in stock means their mechanics do not replace them at every oil change I guess! Another reason why we service our own cars where we can handle the work.

1st bimmer

Yes | No

Re: What about the other O-rings?

The same thing happened to me at my Stealership, the parts manager said that no one had ever asked for those o rings before.

michaelgvh

Yes | No

every filter I've bough comes with...

1) Crush washer for the oil drain bolt.
    2) Tiny rubber o-ring for the end of the long finger in the oil filter housing cap. (1 cm diameter +/-)
    3) Big rubber o-ring for the edge of the filter housing cap. (12cm diameter +/-)

Makes sense to wipe each of the rubber ones with a little bit of oil upon installation to help make the first seal when you screw them down.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Which brand comes with only one tiny O-ring?

Two are required for each change and I've never bought one filter that had even one with it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 35540 TCACEK is an unknown quantity at this point TCACEK's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Which brand comes with only one tiny O-ring?

the one i got was a mann. it only had a copper ring and one large o ring. I am thinking it was the incorrect filter. the filter fit but the gaskets (o rings) were not appropriate.

Registered Member

Yes | No

How could the O-rings not be appropriate if you

only got ONE? No filter I ever got ever had the small O-rings.
    The correct Mann number for the e46 is HU 925/4x

The Mann filter box lists the equivalent numbers for Fiaam, Fram, Hengst, Knecht/Mahle, Purflux and Technocar. Let me know if you need the actual number for any of these manufacturers?

Registered Member
    Member No: 136377 PKile is an unknown quantity at this point PKile's Avatar

Yes | No

+1 - I want to know as well

I have bought both OEM BMW filters and Mann replacements (which are indistinguishable from the OEM filters except for packaging) and neither came with the small green O-rings.Cheers,
    Paul Kile

tcek

Yes | No

Re: How could the O-rings not be appropriate if you

The HU 925/4X is what I was given. Only one small copper ring and o ring. I thought perhaps the wrong filter was given to me (inappropriate filter). Guess not. Not sure what is happened. Got right filter, wrong seals. Will try differnt brand filter next time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information