+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    julie

Yes | No

sudden acceleration with '08 X3 - anyone else?

Last week, while making an easy, slow u-turn into a parking spot, my X3 accelerated full throttle when I was NOT pushing on the gas - NOT pushing on the break. I had actually let up on the gas, and suddenly it was as if I was flooring it. Everyone in the car felt the speed pick up abnormally fast. I crashed into a pole head on, and was going so fast the airbags deployed (thankfully).
    I have never been in an accident in my life, have been a safe driver for over 20 years, and had no previous negative experience with the X3. The car had routine maintenance about a month prior to the accident.

Has anyone else out there experienced this with an x3?
    If so, I would love to hear your story, as I am trying to make sense of this.

Thank you.

randen

Yes | No

responce to sudden acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    Last week, while making an easy, slow u-turn into a parking spot, my X3 accelerated full throttle when I was NOT pushing on the gas - NOT pushing on the break. I had actually let up on the gas, and suddenly it was as if I was flooring it. Everyone in the car felt the speed pick up abnormally fast. I crashed into a pole head on, and was going so fast the airbags deployed (thankfully).
    I have never been in an accident in my life, have been a safe driver for over 20 years, and had no previous negative experience with the X3. The car had routine maintenance about a month prior to the accident.

Has anyone else out there experienced this with an x3?
    If so, I would love to hear your story, as I am trying to make sense of this.

Thank you.
    Feb 18/2012
    The very same occurred to me. I have a 2007 X3. I can change the name and the incident would be similar. It was driving into a parking slot and wham a sudden burst of accelleration put me into a concrete light standard. All front air bags deployed and the front grille damaged. A couple of re occurring similar events occurred prior to this major accident., I believe there is a bad / faulty design with this car handling.l am thankful I did not hit another vehicle. What is BMW doing about this problem?

Regards
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.39.180.64

Unregistered

Yes | No
    what you experience they call sudden acceleration. 60 Minutes television show on Audi many years ago do sudden acceleration but no more I know of.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.77.98.22

Unregistered

Yes | No

2007 BMW X3 Sudden Acceleration

Hi I own a 2007 BMW X3 and the same sudden acceleration happened to me half an hour ago. It almost killed me. Did you guys pursue this any further with BMW?

Thanks,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 96.52.57.31

Unregistered

Yes | No

Unintended acceleration when parking a 2006 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by randen View Post
    Feb 18/2012
    The very same occurred to me. I have a 2007 X3. I can change the name and the incident would be similar. It was driving into a parking slot and wham a sudden burst of accelleration put me into a concrete light standard. All front air bags deployed and the front grille damaged. A couple of re occurring similar events occurred prior to this major accident., I believe there is a bad / faulty design with this car handling.l am thankful I did not hit another vehicle. What is BMW doing about this problem?

Regards
    I had a very similar problem yesterday with my automatic 2006 330Ci (E46 chassis). Came to park in a parking lot, slowly, was about a yard from my intended stopping position when the car suddenly accelerated. My foot was already on/over the brake. Hit the brake hard and it felt (on my foot) like an emergency stop does i.e. foot was definitely on brake and not accelerator. Took about 3 yards to stop by which time had mounted a curb and run into some bushes - not enough time to shift into N. No 'serious' damage other than cosmetic on the plastic lower trim. Took it straight to BMW Service, but there were no stored faults and extensive diagnostics didn't reveal any problems. Disclaimers: have been driving for over 30 yrs and this vehicle for 55K since new; fully maintained by BMW; never use cruise control. Would really like to know what this could be due to before it happens again with more serious consequences! Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.102.64.174

Unregistered

Yes | No

I have the same story with a BMW accelerating during parking

I was pulling into the same parking spot as I do every day. My foot was over but not ON the break. All the sudden my car sped up and plowed right into a pole that was 2 feet from the car. My tire is wrecked and the entire right side ripped off. My car has $9000 in damages. I have been struggling with the incident for several days trying to understand what happened. It was like it was possessed. I am worried about the chances of this happening again. I wonder if the key fob would prove that I had my foot on the break when the car excellerated. I have only had the car for 2 months. It is quite disturbing. The car is a BMW 2008 328i.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.236.43.121

Unregistered

Yes | No
    my case with a 320d 2007, similar symthoms.
    http://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=2883956
    I atached photos and letter of BMW munchen answering my claim.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 84.123.75.58

Unregistered

Yes | No

Spontaneous Acceleration - 2008 X5

I love my car, don't get me wrong, but last week my car took off from under me. I had my whole family in the car and it flew across 6 lanes of traffic on Atlanta's busiest road. I haven't been able to drive it since and my mechanic says it's impossible. Thing is, I know what happened, the car literally took off under me and the RPMs were at 5, 6 and 7 (red zone). When they finally dropped for a moment I jammed on the e-brake and we came to a stop. Trust me, I had been breaking the entire time with no control over the vehicle. When I was able to get it stopped, I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. When I did the RMPs were inthe red zone for 10-15 seconds before I powered the car back down again. This same thing had happened twice before, but only for a few seconds, so I figured it was a fluke. So many things freak me out, but I'd had a diagnostic run on it two weeks before (clean) and the check engine light wasn't on - that's really frightening because it's not something detectable or that I could have known anything about. This accident nearly almost killed me and the people I love, I still get unnerved when I think about it.

I don't care about anything but making sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I want to get rid of the car, but not before I can say without a glimmer of doubt this would NEVER happen to someone else - that's clearly what someone did to me and it almost cost me my and my family's life. Did you contact BMW? If so, what did they say? I want to make sure others are safe both in this car and on the road around it.

Please advise. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.17.124.236

Unregistered

Yes | No

Sudden acceleration with my 2011 328i

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I love my car, don't get me wrong, but last week my car took off from under me. I had my whole family in the car and it flew across 6 lanes of traffic on Atlanta's busiest road. I haven't been able to drive it since and my mechanic says it's impossible. Thing is, I know what happened, the car literally took off under me and the RPMs were at 5, 6 and 7 (red zone). When they finally dropped for a moment I jammed on the e-brake and we came to a stop. Trust me, I had been breaking the entire time with no control over the vehicle. When I was able to get it stopped, I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. When I did the RMPs were inthe red zone for 10-15 seconds before I powered the car back down again. This same thing had happened twice before, but only for a few seconds, so I figured it was a fluke. So many things freak me out, but I'd had a diagnostic run on it two weeks before (clean) and the check engine light wasn't on - that's really frightening because it's not something detectable or that I could have known anything about. This accident nearly almost killed me and the people I love, I still get unnerved when I think about it.

I don't care about anything but making sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I want to get rid of the car, but not before I can say without a glimmer of doubt this would NEVER happen to someone else - that's clearly what someone did to me and it almost cost me my and my family's life. Did you contact BMW? If so, what did they say? I want to make sure others are safe both in this car and on the road around it.

Please advise. Thanks.

I had a similar problem as the first person in this thread. I was making a slow U-turn to pull into the parking lot of the hotel where we are staying and the car engine suddenly revved with a loud roar which could be heard by the hotel reception manager. The car literally flew forward, jumped over the concrete divider and crashed into the retaining iron fence. If it weren't for this fence, we would have crashed onto the street below. We would have been badly hurt and could have hurt anyone who was walking on the street below. Since we had just about 10 feet to go, to pull into the parking spot, I had my foot gently on the brake when the car took on a life of its own. BMW Assist has towed the car to the nearest dealer, but under the circumstances, I am not sure I will ever drive one again. I have been driving for 26 years without an incident and I had this car for almost three years.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 12.180.96.244

Unregistered

Yes | No

Sudden Acceleration on my 2010 BMW 328i

Sudden Acceleration on my 2010 BMW 328i--It just happened to me about 2 hours ago when I was turning my steerling wheel and trying to pull in my garage. I really did NOT push the gas! I actually let OFF the gas and turned my wheel right to pull in the garage, then my car just accelerated and I felt like I was loosing control of my car. I had to step hard on the brake to stop my car, but it crashed to the side of my garage! It is a know problem?!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.181.109.5

Unregistered

Yes | No

2007 X3 sudden acceleration

My 2007 X3 was involved in a bizzarre and freaky solo accident. My house is on sloped hill with a level driveway. The road leading to the driveway is about 20-25 feet below the driveway. On Apr. 18, 2013, upon entering the driveway, the car suddenly accelerated, hit concrete columns (on the edge of the driveway, meant for retaining walls) 3 times and went airborne from the edge of the driveway onto the street below. The car hit the street surface on its roof, rolled over once and came to a stop on its 4 tires. driver and front passenger had seatbelts on and received minor injuries. The rear passenger was ejected from the car and suffered major injuries and still remains hospitalized 18 days after the accident. I have contacted BMW of North America and they have assured me that they will investigate this accident.
    After reading the multiple of posts in this site, i am becoming more and more convinced that this is in fact a car malfunction and not a driver error.
    I would like to establish contact with other BMW owners that have had similar experience. "[email protected]"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 198.4.83.52

Unregistered

Yes | No

bmw 325 xi - sudden acceleration

bmw 325 xi - sudden acceleration

Last Saturday 06-01-2013 I was going to bank to deposit check just normal routine. Drove the car from home through 3 traffic lights (totally 1 mile) - turned to small strip mall (right turn) moved 10 yards - made right turn about 70 yards, made left turn about 20 yards, then making right turn to park the car at the parking spot infront of bank. When I was about to park, suddenly the car started accelerating and it appeard like it was flying over the curb towards the bank - To avoid getting through the bank steered my vechicle to the right hitting front door of the bank and came back to the parking lot and hit 3 cars before the car stopped. I was really shaken.

When people say about acceleration, normal thought would be accidentally pressing acceleration. But when it happens to you then you realise it is real and when you see more people complaining then it shows there must be something wrong with the car.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.113.66.100

Unregistered

Yes | No

sudden acceleration of 2010 BMW X1 X-drive

Very similar story. June 2013. I was arriving to work and turned right to park my 2010 BMW X1 in the final position in a parking lot in front of my building with the foot on the brake when car suddenly started to move faster and faster, jumped over curb and went over the lawn. Trying to avoid collision with trees and other heavy objects I turned twice right and stoped finally only after 20 m by crashing into another car parked along the road. All this time I was braking without any result. The foot was on the brake after crash (everybody asks himself the same question: maybe I got crazy and pressed the gas?) This is my routine way to work, never had accidents when driving. I am waiting for an answer from the BMW experts which inspected the car 2 weeks ago.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 137.138.123.77

Unregistered

Yes | No

X3 sudden acceleration

This happened to me as well; I had a 2011 X3. Last January I was pulling into my parking spot at work, about half way in with the brakes on and it took off. The vehicle jumped over the cement curb and hit a brick building. My saving grace was that the parking lot had security cameras and it showed the whole incident, including that my brake lights were on the whole time. The dealer took the vehicle back on trade even though they said they could find nothing wrong with it and we bought a new one. The insurance company, after seeing the video, ruled it was not my fault. I have a perfect driving record and this has shook me, still have fears when braking that the vehicle won't stop.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.2.166.0

Unregistered

Yes | No

Sudden acceleration on a BMW X1 sDrive18d

After the accident I was thinking that this was my mistake, but now, after reading all your posts I understood that this actually could happen with the car not with me.
    In the snow could winter, I was holding the brakes trying to stop the car, then I pulled harder on brakes and in this moment the car actually revied the engine at around 3.500 rpm. The vehicle jumped the concrete and hit a tree...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 91.230.214.25

User Level 1
    Member No: 200149 TheBeast is an unknown quantity at this point TheBeast's Avatar

Yes | No

Sudden acceleration

I experienced a sudden acceleration that almost killed me. I have a 335i convertible automatic. While driving in snow at 25 to 30 mph straight road the ABS and Traction control light came on as malfunction warning. I had 2 more miles to get home. Driving cautiously, at about 25 mph the car accelerated and started turning to the right UNCONTROLLABLY. I could not steer it or slow it down by braking. The acceleration felt like over 60 mph. I wound up on the sidewalk at a 90 degree angle of my traveling direction. I hit and tore off a NO PARKING sign and the car was stuck on the side walk, unable to go back on the street because of tires slipping on snow and traction control not working. The car was towed to a Body shop because it was very difficult driving it since my front wheels were no longer parallel and had very visible Toe-out direction. Known damage thus far- bent lower control arm and severe rim gouging from going over the curb. I consider myself an experience driver, with close to 40 years of driving. I am convinced some electronic device malfunctioned to cause the acceleration and the inability to brake. In addition it felt as if wheels had locked to make the car steer towards one side. Looking at the rotors 3 are brown and one nice silver color. In addition, there was burnt odor after the incident occurred. I want to find out if anyone had a similar experience.... My email [email protected]
    Last edited by TheBeast; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.127.178.83

Unregistered

Yes | No

More sudden acceleration

A week ago my wife experienced a sudden acceleration in her 2011 328xi. It happened in just the same way as several of the reports in this forum. While parking her car in a confined space it suddenly jumped forward as if on full throttle and after traveling about a cars length crashed into some brick and stone steps doing severe damage to the car and the steps. The steering wheel bag deployed as did the side bag on the passenger's side. The driver's side side bag did not deploy! A few seconds earlier I would have been walking down those steps. Fortunately my wife suffered only some bruising from the air bag and seat belt.

In common with most people who have experienced this terrifying malfunction, I began wondering what could we do to get BMW (in this case) to acknowledge that this problem exists with their cars and recompense those who have suffered because of it. The common response of of people who have never experienced sudden acceleration is to blame the driver. Unfortunately, this is also the standard response of the car manufacturer and their lawyers.

Clearly one, or two letters of complaint won't achieve anything but collectively we may have some impact.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides a way of doing this. If the NHTSA receives enough complaints to convince it that there is in a real safety problem with sudden acceleration them something may get done. Enter a complaint at www.nhtsa.gov or call 1 888 327 4286.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.177.224.105

Unregistered

Yes | No

Sudden accelaration with BMW 328d

I had a very similar experience with my BMW 328d. I was parking in a small parking place, suddenly the car sped up and hit a tree deploying the airbag. My foot was on the brake and the car was moving very slowly. Any suggestion what should be done in this case so that BMW looks into this issue?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.8.190.52

Unregistered

Yes | No

Sudden acceleration problem with BMW 328D

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I had a very similar experience with my BMW 328d. I was parking in a small parking place, suddenly the car sped up and hit a tree deploying the airbag. My foot was on the brake and the car was moving very slowly. Any suggestion what should be done in this case so that BMW looks into this issue?
    Called BMW North America and reported the issue today. They are going to look into the issue and get back to me. Will update the forum after I hear back. Just don't want this to happen to anyone else. It was unreal how the car which was moving at a very low speed suddenly accelerated uncontrollably and crashed on the tree.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.8.190.52

Unregistered

Yes | No

BMW X5 2006 sudden acceleration

I have a 2006 BMW X5, I had 2 accident in the X5.

first incident, I was parking into the parking lot to go into a Retail store when the car just accelerated so fast that I was not able to stop it with my foot in the breaks it will not stop, I was able to turn the steering wheel to hit the wall instead of going into the retail store, very scary glad no one was hurt.

2. May 28, 2014 it happen again I was slowing down into the parking lot in the mall going into Ana linen, my friend who was driving her own car was also parking when she noticed that I was parking in slowly and about to stop when she seen the car take off like an airplane, this time it was going to fast I was not able to steer the steering wheel not to go into the Retail store, but as soon as I came into a complete stop from breaking the store front glass and beams, I was in the middle of the store, I went crazy thinking that I had ran over someone thank God that everyone in the store were at the left side of the store and did not injured anyone or my self, we need to send our letters to BMW and let them know this is a big urgent issue. This second time I was very lucky. I will never bye a BMW ever again.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.197.190.185

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information