+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 76708 tvlodek is an unknown quantity at this point tvlodek's Avatar

Yes | No

Temperature gauge is pegged while cold

Hi,
    I just replaced my radiator on my 2000 540i, when I started the engine, the temperature gauge immediately was pegged full scale. It worked fine until I changed the radiator. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I don;t have a wiring diagram available, is this the fault mode for open wiring or a short? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Look at the temp sensor on top of the T-Stat (m)

housing, near where the top radiator hose connects to it. Make sure you have plugged it in all the way.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Look at the temp sensor on top of the T-Stat (m)

When I first started the car, I forgot to plug it in. I plugged it in, and it was pegged full scale. I thought perhaps I got something in the sensor socket so I cleaned it out with electrical part cleaner, but it didn't make any difference. Is it easy to damage this sensor? Is there any way I can test the plug to make sure I didn't open the wiring when I pulled it off? Thanks.

mlane

Yes | No

IIRC: open=min (cold) temp; short=max (hot) temp

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: IIRC: open=min (cold) temp; short=max (hot) temp

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help. I'll check it in the morning.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

If you have an ohm meter you can check the sensor(

There are 4 pins in the coolant temp sensor.
    One sensor for the DME, pins 3 & 4 read 2.5K ohms at 20C.
    The other sensor is for the temp gauge in the cluster, pins 1 & 2 read 6.3K ohms at 20C.
    As mlane said the resistance goes down as the sensor heats up which makes the gauge read hotter. You could have a short somewhere.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: If you have an ohm meter you can check the sensor(

Whether the sensor is plugged in or not, the gauge still goes to full scale. I measured the resistance at about 0 C, the reading between pins were about 6.5k and 16.5k, so I have to assume the sensor is good. With the ignition off, I measured the resistance across the pins of the connector, I didn't see any dead shorts. All I did was unplug the sensor to remove the intake duct, then when I started the car initially, I forgot to plug the sensor back in. How is it possible to cause a short or damage an input? I guess it's possible I might have tugged on the cable and could have caused an open but from what everyone says, that would result in the temperature indicator never going up. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Disconnect both battery cables and connect (m)

the cables together. Then turn the key to the run position for 10 minutes. Maybe you scrambled the memory in the cluster by not connecting the sensor. This should drain any incorrect data.
    Let us know how you make out.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That fixed the problem, thanks everyone for

your help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information