+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 185113 Scrumdawgg is an unknown quantity at this point Scrumdawgg's Avatar

Yes | No

Vibration while accelerating

Just started vibrating while accelerating or climbing uphill. Things are fine while idling or coasting downhill. Could this be a problem with the Harmonic Balancer?

Thanks

bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Vibration while accelerating

Sounds like your "guibo" flex disk is cracked, broken or hardened. A common problem that is fairly cheep to remidy.

5tevo-sport

Yes | No

also I'd look into the bearings while you're at it, another fairly inexpensive part to replace while you have everything apart.

Registered Member
    Member No: 185113 Scrumdawgg is an unknown quantity at this point Scrumdawgg's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the follow up with Flex Disk Guibo and the Bearings. I will elaborate a little more. I have a 1990 535i with 213K on it. The original drive shaft was replaced at 123K. Was the Guibo replaced then as well or it this possibly the original? When you mention the bearings, which ones to you refer to? Also, does anyone have any advice on the difficulty on replacing the Guibo? I have jack stands and feel mechanically inclined if it is simply removing the bolts and pulling out the old one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Also need to mention that my 90 has an Auto Tranny.

Big Dog

Yes | No

I would suggest the drive shaft as well, check the flex disc and center bearing (the drive shaft is in two parts with a connector/bearing in the middle).

good luck,

Dog

Dusty21

Yes | No

If you are going under your car to repair this, you have to drop the exhaust, and remove the bottom shield to expose the driveshaft.

Then, remove the 4 front and rear bolts connecting the driveshaft and the 2 center bearing bolts holding the center bearing, and the 4 front bolts connecting the rubber guibo to the trans.

If you are planning on keeping the car, replace everything with new parts, the bmw dealer will cost about $1k for the driveshaft with center bearing.

The vibration may be caused by the center bearing rubber mount, or one of the U-joints, or the guibo connection. It is difficult to have the U-joints replaced and balanced, better to buy the whole driveshaft. The center mount bearing assembly is cheap, but you have to pull the driveshaft apart to replace it (make sure you mark both sides of the driveshaft for alignment during re-asembly), or, the balance will be off!!!

Richard V

Yes | No

Try this site

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information