+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 78349 brett525 is an unknown quantity at this point brett525's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil in airbox

So I have a pool of oil in my airbox and oil pooled around most of the coils (in the depressions where they are bolted on). The valve cover gasket is new. Thoughts about the likely culprits?

thanks,
    brett
    '95 525i
    '87 535is

bonzo

Yes | No

Re: Oil in airbox

Start by checking your charcole canister for the re-breather, if its full of oil- you probably have a recirculation or vac hose off or plugged. Sounds like the oil blow-by back into the valve cover isnt getting back into the valve cover.

Richard V

Yes | No

When you replaced the VC gasket, did you replace

the seals around the plugs too?

Registered Member
    Member No: 78349 brett525 is an unknown quantity at this point brett525's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: When you replaced the VC gasket, did you replace

yes, i did change those.

blow by was my thought but there is so much oil. i'm not familiar with the canister but i will check bentley's.

thanks

bonzo

Yes | No

Brett-

I'm gonna make a couple of assumptions, first you are talking about a 95-525i and second- I know what happens when I assume but here goes.

There is a charcole canister/filter under and next to your breather box. New, it is filled with tightly packed charcole and is part of your PCV recirc./perge system. These canisters are good for about 150K miles. You might check your PCV valve and hoses (2) to and from the charcole canister. You should have strong vacume into the charc. canister and also at the PCV valve.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Brett-

bonzo,
    your assumptions are correct, and as the car has about 240k miles I would guess the canister is not in the best of shape.

thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information