+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 123096 team2win is an unknown quantity at this point team2win's Avatar

Yes | No

No Brake lights, no turn signal, no horn???

I have an 88 635 and I can't figure out why the brake lights, horn, turn signals all stopped working at once. Oh, forgot the wipers also.
    There is 1 item of note, the turn signals & brake lights did go out briefly before. I just made sure all my positive/negative connections were cleaned at battery terminal and groundings. Started working again, but now all are out.

All fuses checked. None are out.

I did a search and there seems to be some sort of switch on the brake pedal. I looked and I see an electronic 2 prong wire housing that goes into a fuse type switch. At the end of the fuse type switch is an actuator that pops out when you press the brake pedal. I didn't see how to take this fuse type switch off.

Furthermore, what is the part number and where can I get this switch? I'll check dealer in morning.

Is there any other areas I should be looking with regard to the horn/turn signal/wipers?

Thank you for any help..

Registered Member
    Member No: 59824 handfly is an unknown quantity at this point handfly's Avatar

Yes | No

Use a multi-meter on the switch before...

running off to the dealership. Check for connectivity. The brake light switch is a simple button switch that connects when depressed. If the locknut is loose, it might have moved and not making good contact when the brake pedal is depressed.

Perform a gentle tap on the relays. Bad battery connection may have affected the relay. As for the battery, be sure everything is clean and tight.

Joe
    84 633CSi 165k Polaris

Eric

Yes | No

Re: Use a multi-meter, what am i looking for?

Ok, if I use multi meter, what am I looking for? What number?

Also, when the brake pedal is pressed, the button moves away from the switch, which I assume is why the break lights come on?

I took out all the relays, tapped them, did that already before I posted the 1st time.

Thank you for a direction.. we'll see how it goes...

Registered Member
    Member No: 123096 team2win is an unknown quantity at this point team2win's Avatar

Yes | No

Happy to Report/Brake Light Switch was stuck

Thank you CheckSix for your response.

After getting a better understanding of the switch, I fiddled with it with the brake pedal depressed and the switch was actually stuck somehow, it didn't open all the way, so I messed with it, to make sure it moved freely and BINGO, brake lights are back and funny thing is, so is everything else.. horn/turn signals also.

I checked with Autozone for a switch, which I'm picking up anyhow for $10.99.. O'Reilly's has it also at $12.99. Lifetime warranty by the way. So all is good for now... The cheapest fix ever.. lol..
    I'm going to replace it anyhow with the new one just to be on safe side...

Registered Member
    Member No: 59824 handfly is an unknown quantity at this point handfly's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Use a multi-meter, what am i looking for?

If the button moves away from the body of the switch, there should be contact in the connectors. Using a multimeter set to continuity, you should hear a beep. Depressing the button and the continuity should break and the beep disappears. It would indicate that current flows when the brake pedal is depress - allowing the spring to push the button out making contact inside the switch.

The switch mount allows for fine adjustment - you can tune it to activate the brake light at the slightest pressure.

Joe
    84 633CSi 165k Polaris

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information