+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 174358 cody9156 is an unknown quantity at this point cody9156's Avatar

Yes | No

Electric Top Problem

I pushed the button to put the top up and there was a pop. The electric motor ran but the top didn't move. Upon further inspection it appears that the rod that pushes the top up (behind the drivers left shoulder) snapped where it attaches to the frame. Looking at realoem.com it doesn't look like that part is available.
    I can still operate the top manually - but no more using the push-button.
    Has anybody here had to deal with this issue? Suggestions?

charleymontana

Yes | No

Try a wrecking yard

I would try a wrecking yard. Olsten's Auto Recyclers may be able to help.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 69391
    Inner Circle ©138 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

Its still available

02 Hydraulic cylinder 1 54348410307 $241.70
    Only applies to hydraulic unit

this is from said website.
    click here for crazy fun time.

Inner Circle ©138 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

type the part number in bavauto also.

Yes | No

suggestions....didn't see that part

if it was me and the break happened at a point of the shaft that didn't retract into the cylinder portion of the shock...i would weld the shaft back together where it snapped and oh happy day...it would work again....but if it was snapped at a point where the shaft goes into the cylinder....welding wouldn't work.

but i have a welder and i'm stupid enough to try that to save 250 bucks.

other suggestion....be like the rest of us cheap bastards....and just raise and lower it by hand. ;0)

Registered Member
    Member No: 174358 cody9156 is an unknown quantity at this point cody9156's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, Hank!

Great to see you on the board again! Now we need to see you on the road again! Why not come on Fred's spring drive next month? It would be great to have you back on the road with us.
    Great suggestion about the welding. It snapped just below the ball connector at the top of the shaft, so I think I probably could weld it back together. My son has access to a welder at his shop, so I'll give that a try. Why spend $250 if you don't have to, right!

Thanks, buddy!

Yes | No

Re: Thanks, Hank!

i would love to get out on the road in a trail of Z3s again...i miss the fun and the friends.....but

1. money=0
    2. time=0
    3. family man now.....2 year old....and wife would get jealous of my z3 adventures without her, she is a z3-aholic like me.

not trying to make excuses, although it seems that way. its just one of those things. i still follow along and i also keep getting the emails just incase i may beable to make it one of these days.

i've been spending most of my time working on my 1955 Packard and/or watching my son for my wife to do homework (going to school for RN)

its good to be on the board again too....but i can tell alot of the peeps are gone it seems. not much going on day to day like it was before, but the z3 is getting older and those not dedicated to owning their car till they die have moved on to others by now. i know i would love to have a z4 M coupe....sexy. but....i'd have to keep the z3 too. too much i've gone through with it and its fun as heck to drive.....like its on rails now.

i'm replacing the top on it finally after 14 years of service. window broke on me in the cold one day.

i plan on uping things on it in the future too....forged is a word that comes to mind and so does.....smaller pully for supercharger....hehe....tehe...muuuuuahahahhahahah ah!!!

anyways, i wish you luck on your repair and i hope the welding idea works, cause....yeah....saving 250 is awesome.

later dude,

Hank

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information