+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 185196 macraekw is an unknown quantity at this point macraekw's Avatar

Yes | No

Rear shock help

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and the 8 series as well and am replacing the rear shocks on my wife's 840Ci. Wanna make sure that I am doing it correctly and safely but have searched the forum without successfully finding a DIY post. Right now, I have the car resting on the rear coil seats with the wheels off the ground. Getting ready to install Bilstein sports with OEM shock bumpers and stock springs. I believe that I can do this without compressing the springs, correct? Should the rear subframe and wheel be completely unloaded before removing the shock? My plan is to: 1) unbolt the top shock bolt 2) then the lower bolt 3) install the shock bumpers on the Bilsteins; 4)replace the top rubber mounts if needed and 5)add Phoenix reinforcement plates. Also, where do I find the torque specs for this car and this job in particular? Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95164 6chac is an unknown quantity at this point 6chac's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Rear shock help

Hi Keith,

That's very much it. Word of caution, Bilstein shock are "sport shock", so you might want to think about upgrading the springs for "harder".

zeke

Yes | No

Re: Rear shock help

I'd second that - stock spring with bilstein shocks isn't the best combo.
    Here's a great thread that will pretty much tell you everything you'll want to know about spring/shock combos

Steve Cohen

Yes | No

Make certain that before doing anything ....

you inspect your shock towers (both inside and outside) for any weaknesses / tears / cracks, etc.

You probably will not have any ... but better safe than sorry.

ADCiocca

Yes | No

Good read!

I didn't even know that write up existed. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 185196 macraekw is an unknown quantity at this point macraekw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Make certain that before doing anything ....

Thanks for the advice. So far so good - the left shock tower appears intact with no stress indicators at all. Now for the right side!

Registered Member
    Member No: 111416 Walte is an unknown quantity at this point Walte's Avatar

Yes | No

mwrench's white papers...

has torque specs - but I couldn't find torque specs for the strut replacement.
    http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/
    Walt

ADCiocca

Yes | No

Install question

I am looking to replace the Additional shock absorber, rear p# 33531134043 and was wondering something on the install procedures.

When removing the upper shock nut, do you have to remove all of the interior trunk liner panels? When you do, is the upper shock nut located beneath a rubber/plastic cap? I am thinking it is since I dove in the trunk to look and that would be the logical spot for the shock.

Just so I am crystal clear on this, when jack up the car and remove the tire, you CAN remove the shock with ease? No special compressors needed? Should the shock just slip down once the bolt and nut is removed?

I know that I'll be getting the Phoenix plates to add support, but what other part do I need to replace since I'm there?

testing

Yes | No

test

test
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 192.45.72.26

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information