+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 73453 andrewash is an unknown quantity at this point andrewash's Avatar

Yes | No

$1,500 for a new cat sound good?

1998 1.9 101,000 miles

I was hoping the sensors were the culprit but mechanic shop I use said it is the catalytic converter that is bad, sensors tested OK.

Getting OEM cat.

BTW - Dealer wanted - are you ready? -----$5,000!

Any thoughts on this other than it ain't a good day when you have to spend $1,500?

How about the sensors? Will they need to be replaced soon enough too?Read "Through The Esses" on RaceFansTV.com

ashautomobilia.com

TheRaceSite.com

dailysportscar.com

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

In 2002 it was $1300 for a cat for my car.

That was parts alone, labor was additional. I strongly recommend using a OE cat. Aftermarket units don't seem to last very long or so I've heard. You are aware that there was a recall for the cat on 1.9s. RealOEM shows the cat for $1374. So the $5k figure seems a bit high.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 73453 andrewash is an unknown quantity at this point andrewash's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: In 2002 it was $1300 for a cat for my car.

I did not know there was a recall. Think it is too late to cash in on that? Car is 13 years old now. For all I know the cat could have been replaced before I bought the car at 44,000 miles, eight years ago, no?

Glad to hear the price is not too bad. Yes, I insisted on OEM and the shop said they concur.Read "Through The Esses" on RaceFansTV.com

ashautomobilia.com

TheRaceSite.com

dailysportscar.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 90386 Monolith is an unknown quantity at this point Monolith's Avatar

Yes | No

I believe the recall was for 1997 and only

certain manufacture dates. Mine was done under the recall and has an 04/97 birth date.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I believe the recall was for 1997 and only

I think my car was built in Jan 1998 so I guess I missed the cut off.Read "Through The Esses" on RaceFansTV.com

ashautomobilia.com

TheRaceSite.com

dailysportscar.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 90386 Monolith is an unknown quantity at this point Monolith's Avatar

Yes | No

Original Letter That Went Out for the Recall

SIB 180100BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN TO EXCHANGE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER ON YOUR VEHICLE

CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 01E-A01

Dear BMW Owner:
    BMW has determined that certain 1997 model year BMW automobiles with 1.9 liter displacement engines may not fully meet the Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board emission control requirements.

In order to remedy this situation, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign. We are asking you as the owner of an affected vehicle to contact your Authorized BMW center at your earliest convenience to have the repair carried out.

The Problem is...

BMW has determined that your 1997 model year BMW automobile with a 1.9 liter displacement engine may, over time, develop increased exhaust emissions and a rattling noise originating from the catalytic converter. Erosion of the packing material inside the catalytic converter allows a monolith to become loose and rattle against the catalytic converter housing. Depending on the degree of packing material erosion, the “Check Engine” light may also illuminate.

What BMW and your Authorized BMW center will do...

BMW will repair your vehicle free of charge for parts and labor. Your authorized BMW center will replace the catalytic converter with a new, improved version. The complete repair should not take more than one hour. This repair will not have any adverse impact on driveability.

Your obligations are...

At your earliest convenience, please contact your Authorized BMW center to schedule an appointment to have this Emissions Recall Campaign performed.

If you fail to get this free Emissions Recall Campaign performed…

If you live in a State with a SMOG Check program, your vehicle must pass an emissions test, as required by State law. Without having this Recall performed your vehicle may be more likely to fail this test.
    For vehicles registered in the State of California, the completion of emission recall repairs is required prior to vehicle registration renewal. In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emissions test (SMOG Check) in two year intervals and whenever a vehicle is sold. California regulations
    require BMW to provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with a record of all vehicles, which have not had the Recall repair performed.

Furthermore, your Authorized BMW center will provide you with a Proof of Correction form after this repair is completed. Please save this form since the California Department of Motor Vehicles may require it as proof of Emissions Recall Campaign completion.

Failure to have this free repair work performed could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle and could jeopardize your full protection under the emissions warranty provisions.

If you need help...

Should you have any questions about this Emissions Recall Campaign that cannot be answered by your Authorized BMW center, please call our Customer Relations Department, toll free, at 1-800-831-1117.

If you don’t own this vehicle...

If you are no longer the owner of this vehicle, we would greatly appreciate your furnishing us with the name and address of the new owner, using the enclosed return postage-paid card.

On a personal note...

We appreciate your confidence in our product and wish to do everything we can to retain that confidence. BMW of North America, LLC, in cooperation with our Authorized centers, will strive to minimize any inconvenience to you caused by this Campaign. We ask that you join us in our desire to minimize air pollution and any
    adverse impact on our environment and have this Emissions Recall Campaign conducted on your vehicle.

Very truly yours,
    BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 69391
    Inner Circle ©136 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: $1,500 for a new cat sound good?

if it was me....because i certainly dont' have 1500 to spend on this....i would get one from a junk yard....take my chances if i could find one off a low mileage car and then weld it in myself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information