+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

skiwi

Yes | No

Shock/strut replacement

325i sedan auto 278,000 miles 2001

I'm about to purchase new shocks/struts dues to failure of orignal items. In checking various websites for product, I see there are numerous combinations of handling packages for the E46 models: Poor Road, Sports Suspension, Type 2 M Sports Suspension etc.

Further, the part # I took off my strut shows (Realoem) that it has been superceded by a new part number which I can't seem to match to anything I've found online.

Until yesterday I thought my car had Sports Suspension (the orginal ticket says Sport Pack and it does have 17 inch wheels) but on one particular parts website, it would appear that it doesn't?!

Can anyone confirm that "Sports Pack" DOES mean sports suspension - aka Option S226A?

Thanks for your feedback.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Options and combo's differ from year to year

of course, and I only have the new car brochure for my '04 car. The Sport Package for my 330Ci (and for the 325Ci) included the seventeen inch alloys with performance tires, the white turn signal indicators, and front sport seats. The 330Ci that year came standard with the sport suspension, even without the Sports Package. So conclude that the two terms do not mean the same thing.
    You might try the bmwusa.com site to try to download the brochure for your exact car to see how the options read for your car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

what do you have ????????

go to a dealer and they can give you a printout
    by looking up your VIN # - and tell you exactly
    what options your car had - as it left the plant.
    who knows what PO's may have changed?
    17" wheels do indicate "Sport Package"
    but as I said - what is the true history of the car
    for 10 years and 2 7 8 , 0 0 0 miles ???

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

if you have Sport Seats and 3-spoke steering...

wheel then you probably have the Sport package. Sport Seats have the adjustable thigh support extension
    Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 60437 michaelgvh is an unknown quantity at this point michaelgvh's Avatar

Yes | No

do yourself a favor....

check out this part number.
    BMW part number. 33500429577
    From Tischer BMW, you can get it for $500. The total value of this package is like $1800 at least if you buy the parts separately and you get a new OEM ZHP setup.
    Attached is the link to Turner where it's a little more. Tischer's price is including shipping, at least it was for me. The Turner link shows what's included better, though.
    I just installed this on my car. All you need is springs and you basically have a new ZHP suspension in your car. It's an unbelievable deal. For under $1k I got all the parts and got it all installed.
    I'm psyched.

Shocks
    Struts
    Front Control Arms
    Front Sway bar
    bump stops
    nuts and bolts

I didn't need the sway bar or the control arms. I'm going to sell them and possibly get all or most of my money back for the parts.
    ================================================== =======

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not so fast! Save those control arms; you'll

need them when your ball joints fail. And they have the metal ball joints, not the factory plastic ones.

BD

Yes | No

Watch out for hard shocks

Hi,

I bought Bilstien shocks and found them to be to stiff for my taste. I wish I had stuck with BMW or something else. In my day to day driving the originals were plenty firm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.88.59.209

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Should have considered KONI FSD's. smoother than stock for highway driving, but tighten up for better handling than stock. Automatically adjust for conditions. I have them and stayed with stock springs. Who wants to ride any stiffer than that? Unless you're a racer and don't care about day to day driving.
    You should consider taking off Bilsteins, 'cause you'll never love your car properly if you leave them on. Always have regrets in the back of your head.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 96.232.30.35

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information