+ Reply to Thread
    jayb

Yes | No

Just replaced the apron that is on bottom of winds

on bottom of windsheild. Looks great, big impovement. Followed someonew DIY instructions for E46 and worked well except one person who responded to the instructions said you do not need a gear pulley to get the wipers off. I tried it without the gear pulley, and found out the gear pulley is a must. Lucky I was able to find one that size in my workshop.
    BUT need your help. While doing the work I saw signs of mice visits, so I vacuumed carefully on top of the manifold, and it looked like I got it all. Decided to remove the manifold cover and take a clover look. Found a lot of nesting material, including pieces of a BMW parts label. Carefully I got most of it vacuumed out, and the remainder I used my leaf blower to remove.
    QUESTION--Is the mouse nesting under the hood a commom problem. Any Idea how to prevent it other than traps around the car wheels.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Mice are common around any car. Must be aggressive

in preventing this as one of their favorite habits is to chew thru the wire insulation. I left my car in a friend's garage for two months a few years ago and then found a petrified mouse under the air filter box when I removed it for another job. But who knows? Coulda been there from the ship when my car was shipped from overseas.
    Best way to prevent is to not let your car sit without using it. Do you use this car every day? Short of that probably best to try traps as you suggest.

Registered Member
    Member No: 60437 michaelgvh is an unknown quantity at this point michaelgvh's Avatar

Yes | No

what's a gear pulley??

Can you shoot me a link or two that you used? My Cowl is on the way, so I'm about to do this myself.
    Thanks.=========================================== ==============

Michael G. vH

1999 528it
    1994 325i (sold)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Gear Puller; makes the job easier, but some report

just pulling the wipers off without needing one.

Gear Puller

jayb

Yes | No

Mice--the E46 is used every day, except for maybe

a weekend on occasion. Those little people ate the outer foam off some of the wiring protection, but I checked carefully and they did not (yet?) touch any of the insulation on the wires which is much harder. I know that they would have done that given the time. Assuming that the run when the care is started OR when it get HOT (what a jump off of it when HOT). Collection of all kinds of goodies, including green poison pellets I put on top of the shock boots for them to enjoy. They do not like mothballs, and I am thinking of adding a few under the hood, but need to think about that since the passenger air intake is under the hood. I did that on my E30 and it worked, but I think the passenger air intake was from the grill area. Also just read that dog hair works by one person who posted, need to think about that (perhaps mice will not nest if they know a dog has (is) around by the oder of the hair).

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not sure which is worse as I have seen

really big rats running thru the NYC garage I keep my car in.
    Hope the rats are not looking for a car to sleep in!

jayb

Yes | No

Thanks singer for link to gear pulley

for the $15 I would do that instantly. I spent about 20 minutes carefully working to remove the arms without damaging the sides of the black and keeping in mind what one person said that he broke his windshield glass not being careful. Impossible to get off. Once I put the gear pulley on it, off in one minute (both). The gear pulley I have must be 50 years old, but similar to the one Stinger shows. It has 2 arms (3 will work) and has a working area of about 1.25 inches in height (to go over the wiper base) and about a 1.5 inch spread (width. With the arms, the pulley I used was about 5 inches in height. It grabs the bottom of the wiper base and the center bar screws in to apply pressure against the bolt the the wiper mounts on, removing the arm from the bolt. I can tell you that looking at the pressure gasket that looks like the old lead type, it locked into the space inside arm and took the shape of the bolt threads. I know that some say it is possible to play with it and it comes off, no way in my case.

jayb

Yes | No

Instructions DIY

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373451.

You will see it says use a gear pulley, but one person commented that it is not necessary. You see my response to that.

jayb

Yes | No

Re: Instructions DIY

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/raintray/index.htm

Just spotting the above site--the DIY is not for BMW, but it has good pictures of how to use the gear puller. (Sorry I called it gear pulley, I see proper name is gear puller). Not the treats on the inside of the gasket appear to self lock onto the shaft of the wiper arm as you tighten it, that is why it would not release for me unless you use the gear puller. Even with the gear puller, it had some resistance. The one that works appears to be a battery puller from sears--less than $15. I also saw on Sears site that they have listed a Windshield wiper gear pulley--but be careful--to me it looks like the base of that puller will NOT fit, not enough room to get below the wiper base--I may be wrong. The battery puller is like the one I have with 2 arms, also 3 arms will work.

jayb

Yes | No

"sTinger"

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

OTC 4676 Windshield Wiper Puller

is designed exactly for this job, and has very low-profile feet to slip between the arm and the plastic cowl. However, for a really jammed-on wiper arm the plastic knob just strips off of the screw. So, just toss the screw and knob and replace with a hex-head screw. I ground a beveled (not pointed) tip on the screw to center on the wiper shaft (with the wiper nut left half-on). With that mod, this is the perfect tool for this job.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

...you have more mouse nests to clean out . . . .

.....more nests to find

continue to remove the tray below the
    micro filter so you expose the blower fan,
    you'll see another nest in there

and remove the engine air filter,
    still another nest will be inside that box

jayb

Yes | No

Re: ...you have more mouse nests to clean out . . . .

I removed the micro air filter tray to get the manifold cover off, no nest. I had to remove the engine air filter to change the chamshaft intake sensor, no nest. The mice in NJ are different than the mice in Connecticut. Good we have a river that separates us----and hopefully I will not be driving any over your way on my way to Boston. I am not stopping in NYC so do not worry about any of Stinger's mice. Besides, NYC mice do not like the Connecticut country side--use to big city life.
    Today I bought a thin 3/8 inch flexible tube that connects onto my shop vac to get into tight place in order to suck out the nesting material. We will see how that works.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

no more nibbling or squeaking

sounds like you got it covered

happy sweet smelling motoring

jayb

Yes | No

If THE MOUSE PROBLEM IS SO COMMON ON

BMW's it is time someone invents a after market collection box that mounts under the hood to collect the mice live (one way door). That way we can empty it once a week. Perhaps BMW would want to add this to their option list and can also put the BMW emblem on it

Registered Member

Yes | No

Watching too many cartoons?

Seen the pic of the mice running on the treadmill under the hood to power the car??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information