+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 185243 sorn1977 is an unknown quantity at this point sorn1977's Avatar

Yes | No

e39 relay missing!

hi,

i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me. i have an e39, 2001 X registration, 2.2 straight 6 cylinder manual gearbox with ASC. i have a missing relay from the passenger side which i think is masking a few problems that need sorting. apparently these relays are very specific and the only was to get a replacement is to have the existing relay to hand for the part number, which i unfortunately dont have. i was wondering if anyone reading might have a car that meets those specs that you could get the part number from, or know someone who might have a car that meets the same spec as mine? On the circuit board under the air filter on the passenger side, there are 2 large relays at the front, one is beige, and the one on the right should be pink (or at least the holder is).
    Thanks in advance.

Daniel Greenway

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe this will help you?? (m)

You have a right hand drive car, right? Your DME and relays are on the other side from ours acroos the pond.
    Here are a few pics all from left hand drive cars, you might see what you are looking for. What issues are being masked?

This is from a 97 automatic.

A 98 528i

And my 2000 540i 6 speed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 175547 JimCash is an unknown quantity at this point JimCash's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: e39 relay missing!

As you mention those relays can be specific to the model, year and options.

It is even possible that an empty socket is normal in some circumstances

It might help if you:

- gave some detail about the "few problems" that you think may be related to a missing relay.

- can you post a picture of your Ebox

- give the "BMW" part number on the relay that is there. You mention them being on a "circuit board" - is that correct or do they have sockets?

Cheers
    Jim Cash

User Level 1
    Member No: 187844 Pjb21 is an unknown quantity at this point Pjb21's Avatar

Yes | No
    My 1999 528i does not have an ABS relay in the E box under the micro filter. I've checked behind the glove box, in the trunk and under the driver dash. Neither two BMW dealers, two indys, six suppliers nor the Bentley Service manual can tell me where to find the pink ABS relay.Any advice?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 97.34.111.197

Registered Member
    Member No: 78312 miniron is an unknown quantity at this point miniron's Avatar

Yes | No
    Cars built from August/98 have a different ABS setup and quite different wiring etc to earlier models. ABS control electronics are contained in the module mounted on the front of the hydraulic block on the RHS of the egine bay (looking from drivers seat)
    The BMW WDS (wiring diagram system) will help you to locate relays, connectors, modules etc.
    Link here. This will also give you the online TIS
    http://spaghetticoder.org/

RonR
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 138.217.105.13

User Level 1
    Member No: 187844 Pjb21 is an unknown quantity at this point Pjb21's Avatar

Yes | No

1999 e39 with 1/99 build date

Quote Originally Posted by miniron View Post
    Cars built from August/98 have a different ABS setup and quite different wiring etc to earlier models. ABS control electronics are contained in the module mounted on the front of the hydraulic block on the RHS of the egine bay (looking from drivers seat)The BMW WDS (wiring diagram system) will help you to locate relays, connectors, modules etc.Link here. This will also give you the online TIShttp://spaghetticoder.org/RonR
    Thanks, you've been very helpful. I'm off to the Indy if I can't find a used abs relay module on eBay this weekend.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 97.58.202.176

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information