+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 155761 wannaC is an unknown quantity at this point wannaC's Avatar

Yes | No

Making Me Cry - Part II

I was having trouble with my car battery keeping charge and the mechanic told me alternator is toast, and most probably due to the leaking PSF. Also, the noise that is coming out is due to a leaking Power Steering Pump. So I replaced the Power Steering Pump, and the two hoses that are attached to the PSF reservoir and the following
    -Oil Pan Gasket
    -Valve Cover Gasket
    -Alternator

Got the car back few days ago and the battery/alternator/power steering issue seems to have been taken care off.

BUT, now when I start driving, the car seems to rev higher and make a whining sound as the rpm is going higher. It feels a little like when the clutch was about to give ways from my olden days, this car is automatic.

Like today morning when I was reversing the car, the RPM went to nearly 3.5K before the car even moved and the car would drive forward after reaching higher RPM. After driving to work, nearly 15 miles, the situation seems to get better,but definately very noticable.
    Also another interesting thing is the temprature gauge did not move past quarter. Usually it gets to half in a mile or so. Accoding to trip computer, my gas mileage in the last few days is at 16.2, usually I get around 23.
    Any idea what is going on.

I am just loosing it. Any good mechanic, DIYers in the Metro DC area I can hook up with. I just blew my tax refund and I have knots in my stomach :(

This is a 130K mile 2000 528.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Check the fluid level in your tranny (m)

You could have a stuck t-stat, not closing enough so the engine doesn't get warm enough.

Registered Member
    Member No: 155761 wannaC is an unknown quantity at this point wannaC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Check the fluid level in your tranny (m)

How to check for transmission fluid level? I don't want to drive home with low levels. I am freaked out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 175547 JimCash is an unknown quantity at this point JimCash's Avatar

Yes | No

Checking the level is a difficult process.

You have to raise the car while keeping it level and open the fill hole on the side - adding fluid till it runs out.

And that has to be done with the engine running.

You may want to consider having the car flatbedded to a good BMW transmission service centre.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

zzipy

Yes | No

Drove to a mechanic less than 2 miles from office. Small gas station shop.
    He checked the fluid level when the car was running, as he was opening the screw the fluid started coming out and then he cut the engine and using a large syringe tried to put in some and it would not take any!

The car is markedly driving better than morning drive, I can still feel the sluggishes and there is NO check engine or any other kind of light. I am stumped.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17233 kens540 is an unknown quantity at this point kens540's Avatar

Yes | No

Check One of These Places Out

BMWCCA Nat'l Capital Chapter Recco'sKen

'97 540/6
    Jet Black
    50% Tint
    Shadowline Trim
    M5 Rear Sway
    M5 Rear Trunk Spoiler
    M5 Gunmetal Staggered Wheels
    BMW Aerodynamic Front Spoiler
    e36 M3 (short) Shifter