+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

william540i

Yes | No

Time to move on... saddly!!

Good day everyone!!

It is heartbreaking that I have to move on from my E39. My family and I are headed to Yurrip and I won't be taking my 244539 mile 540i/6 with us. It has too many mods for them to allow it on the roads. Kinda odd too since they don't have emissions and we do. I have been looking at getting a 2004 330i/6. Anyone on here have any experience with one? There aren't many around, that's for sure. Oh, black beauty is for sale, if anyone knows someone that would like to own (IMHO) one of the best automobiles made!! It has high miles (DUH!), but I did the timing chain and all the guides a few thousand miles ago. My wife likes the 2005-2007 530i, so I guess I will have to get one of those for her. I will always prefer the E39 or the E46!! I have some Ebiach lowering springs and a set of shop manuals, if anyone is interested. And some old (original 98) headlights that need adjusters and cleaning.

Well all, if anyone ever needs anything specific and I can find it over there, drop me a line!! william540i at yahoooooooo dot com...

I owe a lot of my knowledge to this board and it's great members!! Thanks all!!!

Cheers!!!

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

My son has an 06 330i sport 6 speed and

That bugger will fly and feels almost as torquey he 540 and almost as fast. It is electronically limited to 155 just like the 540 and it has almost as much room as the 540.

To date my son and I have not met on a quiet empty stretch of highway to see if the 540 is quicker. We did meet one morning when he was in his 98 328i, the 540 easily spanked that 3 series and quickly ran out of sight of it.

Thr e90 also has much better sound deadening and feels just as solid as the e39 but if you cbelieve it has even more useless, breakable plastic that the E39.

Have fun over there.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

william540i

Yes | No

Hmmm... Have been doing research...

I started to look into getting the E90, but I'm not sure I'm fully there yet on the looks... I like the E46 and the added gear (manual) of the 330i (2004)... They both have the same VANOS motor, so if it is going to fail, I may as well get the one I like better... HOWEVER, I am 6' tall and the slightly larger E90 might be better... I'll toss around the idea and test drive more than a few of each before I leave...

Thanks much!!

Cheers!!!

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

The e90 so far does not have the typical leaking

problems. All our e46 cars and e46 based cars ie the X3 leak water in the rain and all have been "professionally" repaired and repaired by us and they still leak. The X3 leaks around the panoramic roof and cannot be driven in the rain, the remaining e46 continues to leak and if driven in the rain eventually fills with water.

Yes the E90 has about the same cabin space as the E39 and feels much roomier than the E46.

I tend to favor the looks of the E46 as well but I am sick and tired of water entry to the cabin even after all the known fixes.

If I ever had another E46 it might as well be a convertable!! At least then I can understand a few leaks.

Find a local dealer (probably) and good used BMW dealer that will allow you to possibly keep the car over night and try an E90. It's better in every way as far as I can tell and a sport package 330i with a 6 speed is the way to go.

But then you will have to introduce your new battery and a host of other items either at the dealer or purchase some good diagnostic software and cable for your laptop.

The only downside to the 06 e90 that I can tell is all that "introducing" dealer robbery stuff and the lack of a dipstick and I think I remember that it has no drain for the diff (but that can be sucked out through the fill hole!

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

I was unaware of the leakage issue with the E46...

I know (from first hand experience) about all the entry points for water on the E39, but I didn't know the E46 suffered from the problem.

I guess my Nephew got really lucky with his E46 (04 330Ci) as he has not experienced any leaks...Yet.

Vin

2003 530i (Sport Package) Build Date: 02/03
    Titanium Gray over Black
    Shadowline Trim
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Zeckhausen Modified CDV
    Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
    "What’s behind you doesn’t matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Re: I was unaware of the leakage issue with the E46...

We have had 5 e46 based cars including an X3, all in perfect condition. 3 of them have had so many window regulators I cannot remember anymore. The sunroof drains have been cleaned then replaced, the vapor barriers have been replaced at the dealer, at autoglass shops, trim shops, and by us. They seem ok at first and then all heck breaks loose.

I like the e46 better but the e90 is simply a better car to live with and depend on in my opinion any way.

right now I need to replace the right rear vapor barrier on the E39, if left out or driven in the rain. Not enough problem to get rid of it, I just need the time to replace the vapor barrier. The e39 and e46 are very similar and most if not all the issues we know about will appear on the e46.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

Kozmo

Yes | No

Now that's ironic...

William is moving to Europe and must sell his 540 while Euro-D sits in Europe anxiously awaiting a 540... Somewhere, someone is laughing at that one...

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

My nephew has an 04 330Ci/6...

He loves it, it feels rock solid in the handling department, and pretty powerful for a 6 cyl...although not the kind of power you've become accustomed to used to with the 540i...but all and all, an excellent car.

Vin

2003 530i (Sport Package) Build Date: 02/03
    Titanium Gray over Black
    Shadowline Trim
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Zeckhausen Modified CDV
    Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
    "What’s behind you doesn’t matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

william540i

Yes | No

I think I may be tooooo spoiled with the 540i/6...

I put a 3.15 open diff in it, and I have loved it more and more since then! It isn't a limited slip like I wanted, but the ASC works better with the new gears, so all is well... It's odd that the new gears react better with the ASC than the original... Almost as if they made an error in putting the 2.82's in my car instead of the 3.15's... Anyway, I will always remember the days of getting the 540i up to speed in a hurry!! Maybe I can do the same with the E46... Stock manual has 2.93 gears, but the auto 3.38... ZHP cars offer 3.07 (MT) or 3.64(A)... Hmmmmm...

Thanks for the info!!

Cheers!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Europe does have emissions...

... and the emission standards in most EU countries are comparable to those of the state of California. Your car has no rear fog light so that would be something required to "fix". I don't know what kind of mods you have but you most likely will have trouble with them in Germany which is one of the strictest countries in that respect. OTOH: it doesn't make sense to ship a high-mileage 8+ years old car to Europe; there are plenty to choose from in especially Germany...

william540i

Yes | No

Interesting...

I didn't think Europe had cats in their exhaust systems... I must be confused!! I agree, no need to send a HIGH mileage German car to Germany...

Thanks much!!!

Cheers!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Time to move on... saddly!!

Given that the price of gas (sorry, petrol) in Europe may soon approach $10.00 per gallon, you may want to consider a smaller engine! Even the 5 series has a 2.0L engine in Europe (and it comes with a manual transmission).

Be careful what you wish for!

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Have a good time in Yurrip, which part? (m)

Maybe you can hook up with Euro?
    A friend bought a 330i ZHP a few years ago that we drove back from Chicago to Boston, nice car. He still has it, it's his everyday driver.
    Don't be a stranger, drop in and visit us after you get there.

william540i

Yes | No

Re: Have a good time in Yurrip, which part? (m)

We're moving to Landstuhl... I would love to have a ZHP 330i, but I haven't seen many avail... Or they are soooo expensive, I can't justify it to the wife...

You know I'm gonna be back here asking all kinds of 3.0L specific questions or research!! The E39 board here has twice the activity as all the other models put together (guessing!)... And all yous guys & gals are great!!

Thanks much all!!

Cheers!!

Eurodavid

Yes | No

William, enjoy Landstuhl/Ramstein

I am always zooming down the autobahn from SHAPE, Belgium and hitting Ramstein?lanstuhl for much needed re-Americanizing (in fact, we just got back this evening after some days there with the family--my e39 I6 loves the run down there and back, one tank, never seeing much below 120kmph and usually at 180-200kmph the whole way). I've lived in K-town/Landstuhl area for a long time back in the early to mid 90s, and it's a great place. Also, good luck with the 330 search. You will find some gorgeous 3-series (5-series, in good condition, are harder to find) in the 2005-2010 range, some with very low mileage and maintained by a-n-a-l owners/ and or coming off lease.

If you can work it out (if you are a civi/DOD), try to stay as long as you can because Europe (especially this region of Europe) is a hard place to beat in terms of being located, plus raising a family. The access to France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, etc, etc, is just damn hard, once you get used to it, to ever leave again.

Eurodavid

ExAlfa

Yes | No

Enjoy it there. May be checking that relo box, too

Do the dealers offer CPO-like cars there? I was in Munich two weeks ago and the BMW museum showcased some great technology in the works. And the new 5 is very nice in person. A TD would be pretty fast and frugal.

I know how you feel about parting with the car. I'm shopping now for a replacement for mine now that 220k miles are showing. I've been looking for an improvement and I've come up with only one - a 2003 M-Sport. I'm so hooked on the E39 I feel your pain.

Keep us posted on life in Germany. If anyone has two extra pistons laying around maybe William can deliver them to E-David in Belgium.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information