+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    TexZan (Dover, DE)

Yes | No

Hey Mark, were you stationed in Germany?...

I'm looking at options for our next base (probably within 1-1.5 yrs from now) and loved my "deployment" to Germany last fall. The logistics of getting the family to/from there might be a hassle but part of me thinks it would be amazing to get the whole family in Europe for a few years. What did you think of it over there? Would you do it again?

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

Not Mark, but.....

I was stationed in Germany from 1967-1969, and as an Army brat in France from 1956-1959. If you can get the family there its a great life. As a kid I lived near and saw where history was made. As an adult(debatable)I was able to partake some culture much different than here in the US. It really gives you some prospective in regards to our place in the world. I lived off post, had a German landlord and everything. We used to shop at the local shops (not the commissary). Had beer delivered like milk, 20 liters a week delivered to the door for 20DM(back when a DM was like $.25). Use all your off time to travel. IMHO Military life outside of Conus is great and would recommend taking every opportunity to go.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 78605 nealmann is an unknown quantity at this point nealmann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Not Mark, but.....

I was stationed in Naples from 61 to 63 and toured both with the Coast Guard flying as a crew member in the C123 and taking tours offered by the military. I got to England, Holland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark on one. Went to Egypt, Syria Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, Turkey and Greece on another. Went to Germany on my own. Flew with the Guard to Libya, Malta, Spain,Tunisia, Turkey, Greece, Belgium Sardinia. It was a great opportunity to travel for me. I have since gone back to some of those countries with my wife. Was not married when there first.98 Z3 1.9 ; HMS strut tower brace, antisway bars, and roll bar; Supersprint cat back exhaust; Dinan chip; Whalen Shift Machine; Strong-Strut Butt strut; FOGGED air box, Downing Atlanta Supercharger.

abluescat

Yes | No

15 years next November, Thanksgiving

Registered Member
    Member No: 3596 markv is an unknown quantity at this point markv's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Hey Mark, were you stationed in Germany?...

We did two tours in Germany. First was '78-81 and the 2d was '94-'97. The first was our first tour anywhere so it was probably more of a shock for Lynn. We were stationed in Hanau, close to Frankfurt and the weather sucked. Cloudy, rainy, cool. The 2d tour we were stationed in northwest Bavaria - Wuerzburg - and absolutely loved it. We travelled all over Europe, as I got leave, and loved shopping and eating on the economy. I would highly recommend it.
    MarkV
    '96 Z3 Black/Black/Beige
    '06 X3 White/Beige

s-retire

Yes | No

Re: baby turns 10

bought the first Z3 new in March 2001. It have 198,500 miles on it and I still drive it regularly.

Last summer I purchased a 1998 1.9 from ZetaTre. It is housed in Wisconsin and will generally be garaged through the winter.

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

I was at Kitzingen and Schweinfurt....

Both about 40 miles from Wurzburg. There's a traffic circle in Wurzburg that I toured around maybe 50 times one night in a friends 52 Mercedes 300 funeral limo. The curse of too much kirschwein! But thats another story!
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 36536 junson is an unknown quantity at this point junson's Avatar

Yes | No

Our Baby 14 in April

Just like Fred, the kids will fight over our baby when they pull my cold dead fingers out of my driving gloves.
    We don't see any reason to get rid of her... she's paid for.
    Mike and Di

Registered Member
    Member No: 73453 andrewash is an unknown quantity at this point andrewash's Avatar

Yes | No
    Our baby turns 8 years ours on April 15th. Her 'real' age is 13 but she is still a baby to us! We waited a long time to get her and we expect to keep her in the family even longer!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 118.92.104.170

Registered Member
    Member No: 180406 amancuso is an unknown quantity at this point amancuso's Avatar

Yes | No
    I'm the second owner of my Z3. Bought it Sept '08 and the love affair still continues.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.85.68.2

Registered Member
    Member No: 180406 amancuso is an unknown quantity at this point amancuso's Avatar

Yes | No
    I'm the second owner of my Z3. I purchased it in September 2008, and the love affair continues! This Month is my Z's 11th Birthday.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.85.68.2

Unregistered

Yes | No

Mine is 12 years old!

I have a Dakar Yellow 2000M bought in Sept 1999, so it's almost 12 years old and I'm about to turn 197K on it YAY! It runs perfect except for burning a bit of oil and a small engine coolant leak. I'm taking it to FL tomorrow an almost 1000 mile round trip and I LOVE my car! :-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 151.151.109.16

Registered Member
    Member No: 6581 jtp is an unknown quantity at this point jtp's Avatar

Yes | No
    Ordered mine in Feb, 2000. She was delivered to me on April 6, 2000 with 8 miles on her clock. Had her out yesterday and she brought the same joy she did that first drive 11 years and 135,000 miles ago.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.183.51.165

Registered Member
    Member No: 75202 HOOPSZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point HOOPSZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Low Mileage Garage Queen - Almost a "10"

We are the second proud owners of a 2000 2.3 which arrived by train from Western Canada to our family in September 2001 with 9,500 Km - 5,700 miles. Almost 10 years later and this year we will break the 50,000 Km - 31,250 mile mark. We have been to 4 or 5 Homecomings, Z Fest in Nashville in 2002 and a 2 week, 5,400 Km tour of the east cost of Canada last year.

Our baby goes under the blanket in October and comes out to play in early May. Needless to say, it's in great condition and receives a lot of TLC along the way.

Fred has the right idea, the kids can duke it out over this one.

Miles of smiles!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.241.134.82

Unregistered

Yes | No

YES

Ordered 11-22-95 arrived 8-5-1996. Has 14,000 miles and will never sell.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 198.206.194.22

Registered Member
    Member No: 73453 andrewash is an unknown quantity at this point andrewash's Avatar

Yes | No
    So yesterday, I'm in the Z3, sitting in a long line of slow moving traffic, right behind a new Aston Martin convertible. A woman standing on the side of the road looks at the Aston and then at the Z3 and says to me "Beautiful car!".

Sorry Aston. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.186.201.33

ptsintx

Yes | No

1.9 Boston Green '97 purchased OCT '96 - original owner 62K miles ...

... enough said!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.20.120.212

Registered Member
    Member No: 110982 mforry is an unknown quantity at this point mforry's Avatar

Yes | No

Better with age

Original owner. 1998 2.8 Z3. Took delievery Dec 1997. Currently 54,365 miles.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 159.49.254.2

Registered Member
    Member No: 18848 rwilli is an unknown quantity at this point rwilli's Avatar

Yes | No
    Just turned 153K on my 2000M. Was just like brand new when I picked it up in December 2002 with only 6K. Was perfectly happy with the James Bond 98 2.8 I had for about 1 1/2 years previous, but couldn't turn down the chance to get the M. Even in addition to meeting all the great people via the Homecomings, drives,etc. I always felt the Z3 actually saved my life. It was the ONLY car to turn my head when I was enjoying my Soft Tail Custom ....Since I couldn't stand wearing a helmet, I know I wouldn't be around if I hadn't switched. It still feels like the first day I got her.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.27.32.181

Registered Member
    Member No: 21597 z3bigdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point z3bigdaddy's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by fredr View Post
    I was stationed in Germany from 1967-1969, and as an Army brat in France from 1956-1959. If you can get the family there its a great life. As a kid I lived near and saw where history was made. As an adult(debatable)I was able to partake some culture much different than here in the US. It really gives you some prospective in regards to our place in the world. I lived off post, had a German landlord and everything. We used to shop at the local shops (not the commissary). Had beer delivered like milk, 20 liters a week delivered to the door for 20DM(back when a DM was like $.25). Use all your off time to travel. IMHO Military life outside of Conus is great and would recommend taking every opportunity to go.
    Fred
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    I've been stationed stateside all my life. I did do a tour at the University of Oregon, Berkley North, during the Viet Nam conflict. Quite a different culture from where I grew up.... Acquired a distaste for tear gas cannisters, pepper fog machines, and police batons..... oh and barbers too....
    <center><b>
    <a href=http://www.z3bigdaddy.com/>Z3BIGDADDYCOTCOM!</A>
    </center></b>

Well this would be a sig if I was allowed to use html... *sigh*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.142.9.203

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information