+ Reply to Thread
    Marcus

Yes | No

V8 Rattle On Start-Up

My 2003 (only 50k miles) 540iA makes a tremendous rattle on start-up when cold, then disapears as soon as the engine is running. The problem does not occur when starting the engine warm. Do I have a timing chain tensioner problem?

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Sounds like it. Get it fixed before the chain >>

bashes the guides to hell.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

ME_264

Yes | No

Re: Sounds like it. Get it fixed before the chain >>

Mine had 158K miles on it and made no noise. Realizing that I hadn't had a "cash leak" in over a week I bought one for $50 bucks and put it in. No idea if the old one was good or bad but I fixed the cash leak for the week!

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

How does one distinguish....

...the "they all do that" VANOS knock in low oil pressure conditions from the more deadly chain slap?

My dad's 540 has made a burst of knock/rattling on startup for a while but it sounds just like the VANOS knock which will come back if allowed to idle with the AC off (especially before ARX+RotellaT). If it's something different, I'd like to investigate to tell for sure. I don't think the tensioners are really expensive but on the other hand I don't want to throw money at something that doesn't need it.

william540i

Yes | No

I don't have VANOS, but this was mine at 240K

This was mine at 240K miles (or there abouts)... I noticed a slight metalic tap/knock/ding while the motor was running... It was pretty noticable at start-up, but smoothed out to an annoying, hardly noticable constant tap... It didn't start out low then get louder... It just happened one day and stayed constant until I replaced all the timing parts... I initally thought the tensioner went bad, but when that didn't fix it, I tore into the motor more to find all kinds of nastiness (<--- word?)... I would think you would be able to see the tensioner move in and out if it was not holding pressure overnight... Look through the oil fill hole in the valve cover and rotate the motor by hand... 1-1/8 inch socket on the crank bolt and don't worry about breaking it loose by turning it in either direction!!!

This is with the valve cover removed...

This is why replacing the tensioner didn't fix my issue... The wear exceeded the limit the adjuster could handle... As a temp fix on my initial attempt, I put a washer in the cap of the adjuster to allow an extra 2-3mm's of adjustment until all these parts came in... Here are the tensioners...

This is the extent of chain stretch after 240K miles... I could have left the original in there (IMHO), but I had the new one so in it went...

I would imagine if you put a mechanics stethoscope on the tensioner, you would be able to hear if it is coming from there...

I hope this helps!!

Cheers!!

Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Simple diagnostic: pull the lower oil pan, and >>

look for pieces of plastic. If you find them, it's for sure that the guide lining is breaking up.

Chain slap is a hellacious sound, and, I believe, is a major cause of the failure of the guides.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Yes | No

The old chain is amazing! They truly do outlast >

the engine.

You have taken very good care of that engine, from the looks of the clean internals.

Did you remove the lower pan, and find plastic debris there?

Craig in Canada

Yes | No

Re: Simple diagnostic: pull the lower oil pan, and >>

Well, the chain would be slapping due to lack of tension. The lack of tension could be due to either extreme tensioner pad wear, missing pieces of tensioner pad, or a weak tensioner. I guess it's more the case of the weak tensioner "early failure" that I'm concerned about (without having to pull the oil pan).

I guess it's unmistakable, then, when it's chain slap? It can't be confused with VANOS knock or HLA ticking?

Registered Member
    Member No: 129085 mgattmch is an unknown quantity at this point mgattmch's Avatar

Yes | No

Problem Solved

My local indie (Lewis Allen of Munich Motorwerke, Houston, this guy is superb!) found the problem immediately. The rear bearing had fallen out of the starter motor. Starter motor was replaced and all is now fine on start up.
    Last edited by mgattmch; 03-19-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Add Title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.46.197.137

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    Wow, William540i, that is some seriously clean inner stuff on the beast V8 engine. Can really tell you've taken care of her, running it good and hard so she cleans herself out and doesn't get all junked up. Also, you are right, that new chain (I bet after a few hundred miles & braking in) is probably now the same length as that 240k miles chain. How the heck you keep your outside lower engine nooks & crannies so clean? That a/c pump (that is the a/c pump lower left of the engine pic, yes?) looks brand new from the shine of the silver.
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.98.138

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mgattmch View Post
    My local indie (Lewis Allen of Munich Motorwerke, Houston, this guy is superb!) found the problem immediately. The rear bearing had fallen out of the starter motor. Starter motor was replaced and all is now fine on start up.
    wow thats a new one for me
    Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
    89 525i 190k Winter/Drift Poutana
    00 540is 6spd 224k (daily driver) Rebuilt at 212k (Chain guide Failure) Record holder!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.90.58.245

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information