+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

zzipy

Yes | No

Need Some Sanity Check

I have been posting about my transmission issues and I just got the dreaded call that the transmission is gone. A well recommended reputable indy is willing to install a used one from a low mileage car and guarantee it for 15K miles for $2700. Also the oil fiter housing gasket and a line needs to be changed for $300. So looking at $3000. This is a 2000 528 with 133K miles and I am wondering if I should invest the monies or cut my losses and move on, sucks as I just spent $1600.

The car's interior/exterior is very very well maintained. I often get compliments for it and the following has happened since I purchased the car at 60K miles:
    1) Blew the radiator and Water Pump at 68K miles. Changed all the associated hoses and belts when I had it repaired.
    2) ABS unit went at about 74K miles
    3) MAF went at around 100K and I had the Vanos seals done at the same time. Also changed O2 sensors
    4) I had the alternator, steering pump, oil pan gasket, Valve Cover Gasket replaced in the last 2 weeks.
    5) Changed one windows regulator and haven't bothered with the other one that went out. Other things like sway bar links, a hose here and there done.

I would like the community to tell what other major issues (and associated expenses) are lurking around the corner AND your thoughts. This will help me make a decision.

Blaumax

Yes | No

Re: Need Some Sanity Check

It will still cost less than another car - even a new Civic at $18K. And you will have a nicer car. You need to view the costs as "refurbishment" as opposed to "repairs". Remember to get an equivalent car that's new, you'll need to spend $48K+.

How about betting $400 to change out the fluid on the off chance this might improve things? On the other hand the tranny is probably worn with this many miles without any fluid changes.

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

The main question is: do you still enjoy driving >

thje car? Or have you been bitten by the new-car bug? The money you spend on the car will still be much less than the cost of a new car, plus higher insurance rates, plus registration fees and sales tax.

The auto trans typically dies at that mileage, so you're not being punished for some past transgression.

Mike Miller, BMW tech guru, always recommends a BMW-rebuilt trans. They go for about $4k+, plus labor. Buy a used one, and you have no idea of its provenance.

BTW, the crankcase vent system (including oil separator) will need attention sooner or later.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

most of things that fail you fixed,if like car

fix tranny & keep it.

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

zzipy

Yes | No

Re: The main question is: do you still enjoy driving >

I still enjoy the car and due to the economy I was planning on picking up something that would not drastically increase my first derivative expenses.

How much (Approx) to repair the crankcase vent system?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

About $800 at dealer for winter CCV system

according to some other posts.

I agree with edjack that your decision depends on whether you still like to drive it. My old '97 528i (manual trans) is still being driven by my buddy that I sold it to, and it just passed 302k miles. So, if you like it, you can keep it running for a long time. Here in New England, I think it is the body rust that will take a BMW out of service before the mechanicals.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Funny I discussed similar issue

here.

Thread #43 and subsequent threads:
    Delete hyphens to see it:

http://www.b---immerfest.com/forums/...=522159&page=2

Registered Member
    Member No: 67632 bilbmw is an unknown quantity at this point bilbmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Need Some Sanity Check

Check out this link to my post several days ago in reference to my transmission saga. Our symptoms were different but none the less, I was faced with a similar situation that you are dealing with now; except my 528 only had less than 63 or 64k miles at the time. If I didn't enter the link correctly, my post is dated 2011-03-03 at 22:23:39.

If you have any questions, you can drop me a line.

[email protected]

'00 M5
    -Carbon Black
    -Blk/Blu Sport interior
    -Mk III Nav. upgrade (16:9 wide screen)
    -Rogue Engineering short shift kit
    -Dice iPod integration kit

'97 528i
    -'99 Double VANOS motor and ECU
    -Jet Black
    -Sand Beige interior
    -Black Dashboard (upper/lower, and center console)
    -Black, all leather shift handle
    -Debadged
    -Mr. MPL mesh lower grille
    -Shadowline (diy) ext. trim
    -Frenched high beams
    -Clear front turn signal and side marker lenses
    -Red/clear taillights
    -E38 Interior map light w/ wood trim
    -Amber fr. fog lamps
    -Rear fog lamps
    -In-dash CD player (CD53 Business)
    -Dice iPod integration kit
    -CMT5000VR cell phone (old tech.)
    -Bav. Autosport mats w/ B/A icon (blue)
    -Burlwood e-brake handle
    -///M dead pedal
    -Rear view mirror w/ compass
    -Chrome instr. rings
    -...and a rebuilt GM 4L30E transmission!!

'86 528e

'87 Chrysler Conquest TSi w/5spd.

'89 Merc. Grand Marquis

BMWCCA member since 1998

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Yeah advertise it with a bad tranny and see your

losses fly! Someone may offer to haul it off for you for a couple hundred dollars. You will make more money parting it out if you have the riim. Otherwise, if it is a good car. Where can you buy a better car for 3,000.00? knowwhatImean?

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

Registered Member
    Member No: 172507 VinM is an unknown quantity at this point VinM's Avatar

Yes | No

Given the fact that you've replaced...

so many costly items already...I would think twice about starting over with another car.

Even if you wanted to upgrade to a newer E39 (2001 - 2003), you'll most likely pay between 10K and 12K for a decent one...which you can't even be sure how it's been maintained, so you may wind up spending on all those items again.

So unless you really have your heart set on a new set of wheels...I think it would be more cost effective to fix your car and keep it, at least you know it's history and what to expect from it.

Vin

2003 530i (Sport Package) Build Date: 02/03
    Titanium Gray over Black
    Shadowline Trim
    5-Speed Manual Transmission
    Zeckhausen Modified CDV
    Dinan Upgrades: High Flow Throttle Body, CAI, Stage 3 Software, and Free Flow Exhaust.

Horsepower: some is good, more is better, TOO MUCH is just right!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti
    "What’s behind you doesn’t matter." ~ Enzo Ferrari

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information