+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 33241 Nelsonbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Nelsonbimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

Replacing power steering hoses from resevoir

I have read a write-up by someone but cannot locate it. In his write-up he says to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the power steering pump. Does this drain plug need a new washer or seal of any type?

I'm also replacing the resevoir since it's original at 91k and could use a new filter and be a bit cleaner.

For the new hoses the dealer provided me the better type clamp to keep it from leaking.

Thanks,

David'06 BMW X5 4.8is Sapphire Black/Black mfg 10/2005 58k
    '01 BMW 540i Sport Jet Black/Black mfg 11/2000 90k
    '00 Jeep Wrangler Sport White/Tan cloth 82k
    '06 BMW Z3 Rider Green/Tan Seat (daughters push car)

Registered Member
    Member No: 33241 Nelsonbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Nelsonbimmer's Avatar

Yes | No

Both hoses complete.

Not a difficult job by any means for the two hoses from the resevoir but can be a bit messy. Truth be told I don't like getting dirty so I keep things as clean as possible whilst performing the DIY. I went through several pair of latex gloves and several rolls of blue paper towels. Good thing they're inexpensive, eh!

I didn't loose as much fluid as I thought I would. Less than a quart. But what came out was fairly black and had small puddles of black goo that I can only imagine is the lining of the hoses that eventually deteriorate?

I would like to do a complete flush. Are there any write-ups that I can review before jumping in?

Thanks in advance.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Here are two approaches>>

Get two quarts of the best synthetic ATF from your auto parts store. I used Mobil 1.

Extract as much of the fluid from the reservoir as you can, using a turkey baster.

Optional: remove the reservoir and flush it out with gasoline. I did this, since the filter inside is not removable.

Remove the return hose from the reservoir. It’s the forward hose, coming from the radiator, and into the bottom center of the reservoir. Have something ready to plug the reservoir pipe, and catch any residual fluid in the reservoir. I used a rubber cap, designed to cap off vacuum lines, and a couple of shop rags. You’ll need a new hose clamp.

BTW, this center clamp allows a leak to develop. Best to replace it anyway.

Fit a length of rubber hose onto, or into, the return hose so that you can route it into a catch can of at least two quart capacity. I used a cut-off bleach bottle, since, being white, it is easier to do the next step, as well being an easy target for the stream of fluid.

Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Have both bottles of ATF open and handy. With one hand on the hose, aiming into the bucket, and the other on the bottle of ATF, have a helper start the engine. Keep pouring ATF into the reservoir until fresh fluid comes out into the bucket. Then shut off the engine, reattach the hose, and top up the reservoir.

DO NOT move the steering wheel with the return hose disconnected, and the engine running! It will pump lots more fluid, and, if the hose is not restrained, it will blow fluid all over!

Optional Dave “Roadfly” Kowached Method

Every night, after coming home from work, extract as much fluid from the reservoir as possible. Fill with fresh fluid. After running two quarts through this way, the system will be much cleaner.

Once cleaned this way, do one reservoir-full at each oil change.

Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Perfect and Thank you

That's the process I had read but couldn't find it. Thank you for sending it over.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information