+ Reply to Thread
    piperguy

Yes | No

Need help with "Check Brake Lings" display

OK, need some suggestions. Car is 2002 530i 5spd M Sport (my sig other's car, mine is the 2001 540i Wagon, I'm coming to the conclusion that keeping 2 100k e39's healthy is a never ending project and labor of love).

I've known for a while that the rear pads were getting thin but was hoping it would go till warmer weather. Wrong. No noise or metal to metal but about a week ago got the "Check Brake Linings" on the display and the little red "Brake" lit up on the inst panel.

Today I replaced rear pads and rotors, fronts have about 10k on pads and rotors and llok fine. Fired car up and the display is still lit. Brakes are fine, stops great, no fluid leaks, sensors are connected. I pulled the neg cable for 10 minutes to reset computer and it's still on.

Should I just plan on replacing the sensors or is there a reset sequence I've missed ??

Mike S

Yes | No

Re: Need help with Check Brake Lings display

You need to replace the right rear sensor as wear triggered it. Once it is replaced you need to re-set by turning the ignition on (don't start the engine) for about 30 secs, the light should go out.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©156 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Buy a pair of Hondas. Sell the Bimmers.

Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

oouch

thats mean lol

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
    00 540is 6spd 180k (daily driver)

piperguy

Yes | No

Re: Buy a pair of Hondas. Sell the Bimmers.

Now that is just cruel ..... Also, I've had a pair of Hondas. Great cars and very maintenance free but also very bland. Now my son's Acura RS ...... that's another story in the bland part.

I'll keep the e39s haven't found anything else I'd rather drive, just was preaching to the choir about the amount of maitenance to keep them happy. LOL

Vaughan

piperguy

Yes | No

Thanks Mike !! I didn't realize that once the sensor was triggered it was a one time thing. Will get new sensor next week, have to order a couple of oil filters anyhow so will just add on to the parts order.

Eurodavid

Yes | No

Re: Buy a pair of Hondas. Sell the Bimmers.

Vaughan,

Don't mind Edjack. he's one of our old stalwarts here, sometimes a little cranky, but otherwise an all-around good bloke (even if he lives in Californication of Mexico ;-D )

Eurodavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 164453 CenTex is an unknown quantity at this point CenTex's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah it "grinds down" the circuit. So once its open, you'll keep getting the warning light.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information