+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No

Alan said: "User level is based on your number of posts. The more posts, the higher

the user level."

Does this mean "user posts" the new forum? Or user posts to the old e39 Roadfly forum??

Not to sound ungrateful and Cassandra-ish about a new forum board, but some of us worked very hard to contribute to the old e39 Roadfly board. I have to admit I am feeling a bit slighted by showing "2" posts, a complete obliteration of my last 5 years posts/threads, not to mention the some 25 complete (with pics) writeups that no credit is being given for. How is it that thus a user level of 1 is then awarded?

Talk about a dis-incentive to do further writeups.

Just my thoughts. anyone else feeling this way. I also wanted to say one of the most endearing features f the old board was its ease of use, no login, and the ability to scan a wide range of threads with ALL posts. This is critical, as it is what sparked many a great discussion and discovery over the years since I have been here.

This topical ranking of threads doesn't show anything, and I think is going to be the near death of this new forum. There just isn't going to be the level of give & take, comments, ideas sparked, etc, becaus eof hassle and number of clicks you have to go through.

Eurodavid

Eurodavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.125.107

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No
    lets give it a little time, lots of glitches, YES old board was much easier to use, did give credit where credit was due.
    If it fails, it was not our doing and we are maing suggestions to help it. Those of us who regularly frequent board know who does contribute.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 12.37.180.98

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

Lighten up Francis.....

I think they are still working on the bugs and agree that we should give it more time. This is truly a monumental undertaking and my hat is off to Charlie, Alan and the cast of thousands involved in making this switch. Once they finish the switch and cleanup the glitches, it'll be fine.

As to the user lever and rep power, I say WGaF. Even if they don't update and credit all the old posts, everybody knows each other here and what we have done. EuroDave we all know you are one of our experts on the cylinder challenged older E39's. The old board is still searchable.

By the way if you set the settings to hybrid, you can see the threads in the old style layout.

The new edit feature is easier to use and it looks like we will be able to easily add html to posts.
    Last edited by 540sport; 03-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.48.242.9

Administrator Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 2
    Inner Circle ©230 since: Apr 01, 1997 alan is on a distinguished road alan's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodavid View Post
    the user level."

Does this mean "user posts" the new forum? Or user posts to the old e39 Roadfly forum??
    We have brought over all the data from the old forum. If you were signed in when making posts on the old forum, those posts are still associated with your userid even on the new forum.

There are lots of maintenance scripts we're still running which are updating counters, etc. One of those is the one that tabulates post counts from all the past history. That one is going to run over the weekend, so by Monday, everyone's post count should be accurate. We started running it earlier this week, but it was slowing down the boards so we killed it. You'll notice my post count is 6k something...I have a really low user id number so mine was one of the first ones it started counting. Even so, it got only about halfway through mine by the time we killed it.

Anyway, everyone's post counts (again, assuming they were logged in when making the posts and are using the same Roadfly userid/account on this board) should be accurate by Monday.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Admin IP hidden

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    Thanks Alan. On the old board, everything I did I always did without logging in first.

Oh well, I never said I was not for fresh starts.

Thus, in that vein & spirit of the moment, and with 540Sport's tongue-lashing:

EURODAVID will now become EUROFRANCIS
    (if I am allowed to change that in "my profile"......)

EuroFrancis

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No
    Thanks Alan. On the old board, everything I did I always did without logging in first.

EuroFrancis
    ED: This hit me too. Since the old forum didn't mandate, and the cookies didn't seem to preserve a logged in state, most of my posts were not logged in either.

It *should* be possible to write a script to comb through the posts for the old nickname and associate them somehow (my "Craig in Canada" posts show as another "Craig in Canada" who is a guest or something) but Charlie mentioned to me that they looked into this and it wasn't reliable.

It would still be a nice-to-have one day - that's for sure.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 142.77.80.21

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Craig,

I hear ya. but at least you got "52" and a User Level of 3.

I'm down in the retarded section.

Oh well, Dad always said I was a loser, and Charlie & gang reminded of that, lol (j/k) ;-)

P.S. Getting any itch to something major to your ride this summer, or maybe make a major change? I'm going to put those new lowering Vogtland springs all all around, paired with new oem sachs-boge (news have already been on the front for about 25K miles now). Plus do some major rear end stuff. Car has been running so good (knock on wood), that I am almost afraid to mess with it now the BMW-cruse cloud left the Old Continent.......... ;-)
    EuroDavid

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

EuroFrancis
    That wasn't a tongue lashing, just my attempt at lightening the mood. Don't go changing your name when you have accumulated 5 posts!
    Vin
    '97 540 6 Speed

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.48.242.9

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information