+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No

Craig in Canada

Craig,

Have a question for ya about this:

http://www.auto-rx.com/transmissions.html#automatic

Since I am going to be doing the valve body job on my 5HP18 automatic tranny, would you do this treatment? Or would you avoid adding anything other than the prescribed/compatible tranny oil. The tranny on my car has had 2 full fresh fluid & filter changes over the past 40k miles, done after I did the original multiple pan drops, fluid changes and filter changes. What I was thinking is, would the AutoRX remove else anything that the fresh transmission fluid isn't/hasn't??

I have the perfect opportunity here to drop this in the tranny, run it the required 1000-3000 miles, as that will be about the mileage I put on the car before I am able to set aside 3-4 straight days to do the tranny valve body job (like JimLev suggested).

Whaddya think?
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.225.7

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No
    Ooh, I get a thread title now? :)

I briefly ran ARX in my dad's transmission (A5S440Z) only because he was getting leaking at one of the TC gaskets. We were coming up on our first pan drop/flush operation and we wanted to see if it would help the seal because we didn't know if it was just dry/shrunk or if it was physically damaged. After the adventure of adding the ARX to an already filled transmission there was an instant improvement in shift quality which doesn't seem like it would be due to the half litre of Amsoil ATF I mixed the ARX dose into at the time. The switch to 100% Amsoil ATF and a new filter a couple of weeks later completely revolutionized the AT operation - it was literally better than when new. He had a shop dismantle the AT and replace the seal in the end.

I personally wouldn't bother with the ARX, especially with the frequency you're doing changes. If you're happy with how the transmission shifts and functions there's nothing to be gained. Although there's still lots of heat involved, the transmission environment is different than the internal combustion environment and doesn't have as much sludge or hard carbon issues to deal with.

I have never tried it in my MT. I've read testimonials where people talk about it doing great things, presumably cleaning some kind of something off of the faces of the synchros. There are some die hard fans who probably eat the stuff on toast, but I'm not one of those folk. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 142.77.80.21

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No

Thks, Craig!

;-)
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.225.7

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information