+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 185752 SwayBarLeaking is an unknown quantity at this point SwayBarLeaking's Avatar

Yes | No

2007 BMW 525i Sway Bar Leaking- Advice Please!

Last year I purchased a 2007 [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]BMW [COLOR=blue ! important]525i[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and absolutely love the car. When I recently took the car in for a routine oil change, my mechanic notified me that my Sway Bar had a minor leak and that the manufacture's cost to replace the part would cost just under $1500, for the part alone.

After doing some minor research on different websites about [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]BMW[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Sway [COLOR=blue ! important]Bars[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], I've noticed that off-manufacture Sway Bars run for dramatically cheaper than the manufacturer cost (about $250-$500/each). When I notified my mechanic about this price difference he warned me that I'd be taking a real chance with purchasing and installing an off-manufacture Sway Bar because there could be an issue with it not fitting correctly or having durability issues.

So the reason I am here today is to find out if anyone has had the same issue I am currently facing or knows someone who has. Has anyone had an off-manufactured Sway Bar installed onto their BMW, if so, what has your experience been like? Any issues? Were there any problems with the installation? What price did you pay for your Sway Bar and where did you purchase it?

Also, my last question is: Since the Sway Bar is only leaking and not completely shot, would it be ok to continue to use my current Sway Bar and constantly monitor the leak by topping off the fluid when necessary? What risk, if any, am I running by doing this?

Any help/advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank You,

Kenny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 209.23.215.2

Registered Member
    Member No: 46307 mhardey is an unknown quantity at this point mhardey's Avatar

Yes | No
    I'd try another mechanic. I thought a sway-bar was a solid piece of steel. What's to leak?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.241.113.170

Registered Member
    Member No: 13623 tcachtung is an unknown quantity at this point tcachtung's Avatar

Yes | No
    Modern sway bars are no longer anything like the old. Many are "Active" meaning they have a motor that moves them to correct suspension movement. If yours is leaking hydraulic fluid then it is the modern style. I personally have never seen anyone in the aftermarket making replacements for this style and/or rebuilding them. If their is an aftermarket source I would be cautious since these things have issues from the manufacturer(BMW). At least with a dealer sourced OE unit you will have a 24month warranty on it and you may need it.
    Trent Cole @
    Lone Star Bavarian
    3800 West Vickery Blvd
    Fort Worth, Texas 76107
    817-732-4888
    www.bmwfxr.com

Bosch Authorized Service Center
    Member of BIMRS.org, 12 years
    Member of BIMMERTECH group 10 years
    Member of BMWCCA, 20 years
    TECH ADVISOR, BMWCCA, Lone Star Chapter 10 years
    MINITECH Group, 7 years