+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    Eugene,

I do not understand what you wrote? "You might not share the background information on the 5HP18"? Did I divulge ancient Kremlin secrets that Mr. Putin is now going to come after me for?

P.S. I cannot believe how many "views" this writeup got? Nearly 10,000? Man, that's Rock Star status!! lol ;-)
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.33.224

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodavid View Post

P.S. I cannot believe how many "views" this writeup got? Nearly 10,000? Man, that's Rock Star status!! lol ;-)
    I noticed that too.
    You need to post an autographed pic of yourself here, LOL.
    Just a few mods.
    If it ain't broken make it better and quicker!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 174.62.177.126

Unregistered

Yes | No

Valve Body

Great job Euro...just a quick question which I have not been able to find the answer to my 5HP 18 box is totally shot and cannot find the same part no box anywhere. The date of manufacture of my box is May 1991, I live on a remote island and have located a 5HP 18 box from a 1994 5 series the casting is the same part number but the only difference I can make out is the wiring loom connection on my 1991 model its a 14 pin 2 wires are redundant and the 1994 is 18 pin. Could I use the the Solenoid Hosing body from the 1991 on the 1994 so matching up the wiring loom connector? or am I barking up the wrong tree.

any thoughts
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 83.58.87.91

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    Are you wanting to use the solenoids from the 1991 tranny to put in your 1994 tranny? I am a bit confused if you are asking about just swapping the wiring harness over, or the solenoids, or both? If I recall correctly, the reason there is a different wiring harness is because of the firing sequence of the solenoids in the 1994 vs the 1991 related to the gearing changes insitated along with the 5th speed overdrive. But that said, I am not sure if just the solenoids would transfer over, but you know, a solenoid is a solenoid, so if you have the correct number of them in the 91 as there are in the '94, then I am thinking they could swap. They only open hydraulic valves as the oil squirts through & around the valve body. I would note that I strongly believe, if you try to swap them, make every effort to see if the wiring setup (to the solenoids) is the same on the '91 as it is the '94. You can peel back that wiring harness to get a look at each and every wire. Also, if you needed to, you can order a new one over the net pretty reasonably from the links I provided in the writeup.

But don't hold me to this, I am leery if the solenoid setup might just be a touch different from one iteration to the next in terms of receiving input from the various engine sensors over those wiring harnesses. Also, exactly where & what do those missing wiring pins (in the 14 pin version) exactly do if not present in the 18-pin version? I have a feeling it is related, as mentioned above, to the 5th speed overdrive changes (the gearing changed, and thus the speeds changed, and thus the firing of the solenoids---when to open and close---completely changed. These changes came in later iterations of the 5HP18, but like I said, I am going off memory when I did mine and researched all I could.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I am curious, what island are you stuck on? Off the coast of North America? European? Or????
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.151.163

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodavid View Post
    Are you wanting to use the solenoids from the 1991 tranny to put in your 1994 tranny? I am a bit confused if you are asking about just swapping the wiring harness over, or the solenoids, or both? If I recall correctly, the reason there is a different wiring harness is because of the firing sequence of the solenoids in the 1994 vs the 1991 related to the gearing changes insitated along with the 5th speed overdrive. But that said, I am not sure if just the solenoids would transfer over, but you know, a solenoid is a solenoid, so if you have the correct number of them in the 91 as there are in the '94, then I am thinking they could swap. They only open hydraulic valves as the oil squirts through & around the valve body. I would note that I strongly believe, if you try to swap them, make every effort to see if the wiring setup (to the solenoids) is the same on the '91 as it is the '94. You can peel back that wiring harness to get a look at each and every wire. Also, if you needed to, you can order a new one over the net pretty reasonably from the links I provided in the writeup.

But don't hold me to this, I am leery if the solenoid setup might just be a touch different from one iteration to the next in terms of receiving input from the various engine sensors over those wiring harnesses. Also, exactly where & what do those missing wiring pins (in the 14 pin version) exactly do if not present in the 18-pin version? I have a feeling it is related, as mentioned above, to the 5th speed overdrive changes (the gearing changed, and thus the speeds changed, and thus the firing of the solenoids---when to open and close---completely changed. These changes came in later iterations of the 5HP18, but like I said, I am going off memory when I did mine and researched all I could.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I am curious, what island are you stuck on? Off the coast of North America? European? Or????

David thanks for the reply it was very helpful indeed.

I am stuck in the Canary Islands.
    I was thinking of using the solenoid valve hosing body set up from the 91 and put it in the 94 that way retaining the 14 pin connector to the wiring loom everything seems to be the same with the exception of the wiring. I have not been able to find anyone who can confirm that this could work. I will post some photo's of the 2 redundent wires and the solenoid set up.It looks identical to the photo's of yours

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 88.11.123.240

Unregistered

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is the photo that you took of the solenoid valve housing body its identical to mine including the wiring colours. The wires going to the MV 6 Solenoid with the white connector have "melted" on mine so that would need replacing. I will take some photo's tomorrow. Was yours a 14 pin connector?

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Sorry, I can't remember exactly, but if you were to pin me against a wall, I would swear I had 18 pins, not 14. 14 went to solenoids, and 2 more went somewhere else right near the solenoids, and then two were blank. Hence, the 18-pin with 2 blank. You know, if you look at my writeup, I give links where you can order new stuff. The one link gives pictures and catalogs on their website of which solenoids fit which models, exactly (and not just estimates), and the guy who is responsible for the site knows a ton if you just ask.

Anyhow, best of luck. If you do the swap, let us know if it what happens.
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.47.85

Unregistered

Yes | No
    thanks for the help will let you know what happens...lol

User Level 1
    Member No: 202795 Miker1st is an unknown quantity at this point Miker1st's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hey EuroDavid,

This thread is way old, but still really useful. I have poured over your write up and have gotten the courage to go through this myself with a 1994 BMW 530i with just over 254K miles on it. I got it for a steal (which after towing wasn't as much of a steal, but still a deal) because it would only go forwards at a snails pace at high RPM's. Reverse worked really well though. So I had hopes for it. I put it in the air, warmed it up and went to check the fluid level to see if that was the issue. It got up to temp, I pulled the drain plug, and got about 2 quarts of sludge in a matter of seconds all over my garage floor. So I pumped some fresh fluid into it (the top of bottle pump is amazing) and ran that through it for about a half hour through all the gears to try and knock any remaining sludgy bits loose. It ran through all gears in just fine while in the air, but once I set it on the floor, it would go more than the snails pace again. So I am pretty sure the Torque Converter has been done in, but I figure I'll go through the Valve Body as well to see if I can find something funky in there. I ordered the kit from Errikson Industries per your suggestion. Great price at ~157. Unfortunately, not even ZF has a listing for that kit anywhere in their international warehouses so I'll be waiting 2-4 weeks or 3-4 months depending on when they can build it. So at this point, I'm just going to clean up the inside of the tranny best I can without cracking the valve body, replace the Torque Converter, and then see if it that fixes it. I'll still go through the Valve Body when I get the kit, but until then, I wanna drive my new BMW! This is my first, so I'm very excited.

Many props on the write up!

Yours truly from across the big blue,
    -Miker Li
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 104.152.255.130

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information