+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 108840 AussieBob is on a distinguished road AussieBob's Avatar

Yes | No

S50 Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve question

Does anyone know if these valves or housings can get stuck closed with age? (items 8 and 13 on the E36 M3 VALVES/PIPES OF FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM on the RealOEM website)

I've had some recent fuel smells from the engine and noticed this morning fuel leaking from under the car at the rear of the engine and transmission area. After putting the car on ramps and looking at all the fuel lines and connections I could from below and above (after removing the air plenum etc. from the top area of the rear of the engine bay) I tightened the hose clamps at the injector rail and started the engine with the airbox inlet piece removed. The engine cycled a few revs then cut out. Put the parts back and the leaking has now stopped and no more fuel smells.

The only fuel part and connections I did not visually check and tighten is the fuel pressure regulator area as it is well hidden below the metal air inlet box that I did not remove.

I'm thinking if the pressure regulator was stuck closed it would cause the fuel to leak out of the weakest seal or clamp connection and starting the engine with no pressurised inlet air may have caused the valve to open due to the fuel pressure.

Does this sound right?

The charcoal canister and electronic valve connected to it were all dry so that's why I'm thinking the pressure regulator and housing are the culprits.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 122.106.31.23

Registered Member
    Member No: 108840 AussieBob is on a distinguished road AussieBob's Avatar

Yes | No

No more fuel smells

Must have been just the injector return line clamp that was leaking.

Car is back to full smooth power, idle is stable and the fuel smells are all gone. The fuel consumption is also trending south, so the engine management system is now doing an on-target job.

The pressure regulator operation is the reverse of what I thought. At higher engine revs the velocity of air passing the vacuum hose air in-take end increases thus increasing the vacuum pull on the regulator. Result is less effort from the fuel pressure to move the regulator spring/diaphragm which equals better regulation control over the fuel pressure at higher revs, which is really when you want the fuel.

Freude am Fahren - yet again
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 163.189.7.40

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information