+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

The T6 is in....

Well, it's FINALLY a sunny day and I've put enough miles on my winter fill of GC for it not to be a total waste to switch to the T6 at this point. I'll be sending it to the lab in the fall to see how it did.

Totally subjective comments on noise and smoothness after a test drive and garage revving:

- T6 allows the engine to sound smoother and more refined at high revs than GC. GC is leaps and bounds ahead of any Mobil1 product in this department, however. I observed similar things when running Rotella T 15W40 and Esso XD-3 15W40 in summers past.

- the harshness heard and slightly felt in the steering wheel as the tach sweeps when running GC, especially in the 3500-5000 range, is gone with T6 (just like with T). This harshness isn't necessarily a "problem", and it's fairly subtle, but the car feeds back a more "flog me! You aren't hurting anything and it sounds great!" feeling with T or T6.

- unlike T, T6 seems to have another sound which is continuous at all RPM >2k. It's like a woosh, swish, or electric sound I can hear bouncing back off of the curbs and garage wall. To my recollection, T and XD3 in 15W40 did not do this. Of course something else could be making a new noise over the winter, but it sounds to me like T6's take on typical mechanical engine noise.

- T and XD3 seemed to distill a spirited drive down into intake and exhaust sound without any real mechanical noise. T6 is better than GC in this regard, but not as good as T. Of course T is not suitable for my winter weather at all. T6 should be OK, but GC is far better in the cold. I'm a little apprehensive about running T6 in the winter with short trips even though all the specs should be fine.

- Depending on how long I have this car I might do T in the summer and T6 in the winter, presuming that additives and general formulation will be very compatible between the two oils in the same series and it won't be as "bad" as switching between completely different chemistries each season. I want the smoothness I get with higher HTHS 40 weights all year round.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.10.131.55

Registered Member
    Member No: 147798 eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid will become famous soon enough eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No
    Wow, you can really tell all that just switching from one engine oil to another? Do you think you could do it in a blind test of different oils, not knowing what oil was put in, nor manufacture brand, nor weight? There's no way I could discern telling the difference between any 15w-40 and/or 20w-50 oil (same goes for lower end), unless it was Mobil 1 stuff against the others (then I might bet, as Mobil is crap ouil that makes the I6 engines, at least, loud and noisy at idle). Otherwise, for anything else, to try and discern something, I honestly think I would suffer too much from "confirmation bias", thinking I am seeing, hearing and feeling things with one oil over another, when in reality I am not.. Sound at idle only is the only thing I might---key word being "might"---bet on with somebody that I could discern between different oils, otherwise I would not bet.

But to be able to discern power output i.e. smoothness in certain rpm bands, exhaust sounds, etc, etc, good on you, Craig, you've successfully mind-melded with your beast to become one. If you suddenly start speaking authentic inflected Hutterite German, start to get worried ;-)
    EuroDavid
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 81.245.125.92

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No
    Well, I've been able to feel the little bits of resonance harshness at a couple of points sweeping the tach when running GC for years. I noticed with T and XD3 that they were gone and overall quietness is at an all time high. I don't know whether it is a/ being a 40 weight b/ very high HTHS diesel oil c/ being dino d/ other specific formula secrets (in the same way that Mobil1 makes an M52 loud but still has excellent protection). I was just hoping that T6 would give me the same feel. Early results say "almost".

At this point I'm fine tuning. I know that lots of oils have the protection we need, I understand what properties my climate needs, and I have a good idea what oils will go what distance between changes. I'm tuning for subjective properties like noise, vibrations etc... Yes, after 10 years of driving this same car, I have become attuned to the small stuff. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.10.131.55

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information