+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 186288 dave.cowling is an unknown quantity at this point dave.cowling's Avatar

Yes | No

Heater blower motor

Hi,
    Iím still having probs with regard getting my heater blower motor to work on variable. Iíve replaced the transistor on a number of occasions (even upgraded it) which has only lasted 6 months max. This time I made sure the soldering of the transistor was the best it can be and cleaned everything up until it sparkled to avoid dry joints and still it failed. Anyway, Iíve now replaced the blower motor itself on the assumption that the brushes are shot and low and behold, the a/c and heater still only operate on full. Somebody on this forum has said that the prob is likely to be the blower select relay which is found behind the centre console. Is there anybody out their who can talk me through how to remove this bit of fascia and what to do to make the repair??

Thanking you all in advance
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 82.43.51.152

Registered Member
    Member No: 109965 blackbirdxx is an unknown quantity at this point blackbirdxx's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi,
    I take it from the silence that no one can help me!

Anyone able to advise me of how to remove the heater fascia in the middle of the dash so I can get behind the heater rotating switch and have a look?
    thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 82.43.51.152

Unregistered

Yes | No

bigdawg

Having the same problem. When blower stopped working I replaced the transister on the firewall. Blower worked only on high AND only when the switch was fully opened. Anyone have a suggestion on where to look now?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.91.29.230

Registered Member
    Member No: 41979 slak54 is an unknown quantity at this point slak54's Avatar

Yes | No
    I can help you with some of your questions. After a 3 year quest I finally solved this problem on my car. But it's way too
    long for me to type it out, so you'll have to give me a call. The bad news is that you'll be doing R&R of the R-12 or R-134A, as you have to remove the blower box from the console. This neccesitates opening the system. At least on my problem anyway.
    Steve Lake (941) 376-2188
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.56.115.153

Registered Member
    Member No: 120103 rogerh113 is an unknown quantity at this point rogerh113's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hello,

I had the same sort of the trouble with the variable speed on the heater, and also tried replacing the transistor. Also for me the fix lasted only a very limited amount of time. I then tried replacing the entire steel 'board' (with the transistor and other parts), and have had no trouble since. Being an electrical engineer in a former life, when replacing the transistor I noticed that there are a couple of other parts on the 'board' that could also fail, and yet I was replacing only the transistor. If one of those other parts are toast, then the transistor will probably not last for long.

Perhaps prior to going any further into the intimate bits of the heater system and tearing your dash apart, you may want to get a replacement transistor board and see how that goes. I think I got mine from Autohaus AZ and it was not tooo expensive.

Good luck -- Roger
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.245.217.175

Registered Member
    Member No: 41979 slak54 is an unknown quantity at this point slak54's Avatar

Yes | No
    rogerh113- That is some very good advice! I replaced just the transistor twice, each time lasting just about 1 year. Luckily a good friend is building a E24 race car, and gave me the transisitor out of his. Although it didn't solve my problem (still needed the one down by the blower box, which he also gave me), the factory transistor he gave me still works years later.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.56.115.153

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information