+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 186691 2nah is an unknown quantity at this point 2nah's Avatar

Yes | No

Quick question about making a claim...

I woke up this morning, got up and was about to leave my girlfriends house to go to work. I went to my car and discovered that someone had smashed into the front of it while it was parked on the street overnight. I didn't find any evidence from the other car (no different color paint rubbed off, no pieces of anything on the ground, besides my grill), and there were no skid marks that I could see, because it's been raining for the last day and a half.

From what I can tell, it looks like someone in a truck or suv must've been trying to park in front of me, and accidentally/drunkenly hit the gas when backing in, because my little 04 corolla is pretty damaged. (Front bumper, headlights bent inward a bit, hood folded up and back like an accordion, my grill is gone and radiator is pushed in slightly). To me, it looks like it's totaled !

I was originally leaving for work, and so I called my boss and told him what happened, but he wanted me to come in asap. So after I determined my car was still drive-able, I drove home to get ready for work. I left my car there and just got a ride to work. I am about to call my insurance company....and I am a little worried, now that I think about it, that I shouldn't have driven it home. Should I have my friend drive it back to where it was? I am just worried that I did the wrong thing by moving it...but I had no choice really. Anyone know what I'm about to encounter? Quick replies would be appreciated...need to call soon!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 206.55.180.8

User Level 1
    Member No: 186691 2nah is an unknown quantity at this point 2nah's Avatar

Yes | No
    Also...I did not call the police. I figured - A, I didn't have time to wait for an officer to show up, and then to make a report, and B, there wasn't much to report, besides my car being smashed up. Is the insurance company going to use that against me or something? Should I maybe call the police now even though it's after the fact?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 206.55.180.8

Administrator Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 1
    Inner Circle ©205 since: May 05, 2000 charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie has a spectacular aura about charlie's Avatar

Yes | No
    Don't worry about it too much. Your insurance company sees this type of thing all the time. Did you happen to take any pics w/ your cell phone? Maybe you could go back to the parking spot where the accident occurred and take some pics of the debris, etc. to help back up your story.

Go ahead and call your insurance company and explain what happened. They're in the claims business so they understand that parking lot hit and runs happen all the time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Admin IP hidden

Registered Member
    Member No: 94415 jayb is on a distinguished road jayb's Avatar

Yes | No
    It is no excuse not to call the police because you did not have time. BUT, probably not necessary in this case anyway.
    Several years ago I came out from shopping and found out someone in the parking lot ran into the front of my car when parking in the space in front of me. Major damage to bumper, broke the front grill, pushed in front around the grill about 1/2 inch. Might have been a truck bumper pushing agains the front of my car.
    I took no pictures, no police report, just reported it and the insurance company paid.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.221.146.6

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information