+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 187249 Avalongod is an unknown quantity at this point Avalongod's Avatar

Yes | No

Accident payout, to work with our insurance, or other guy's?

Hi:

Quick question, just looking from some insight. My wife was recently involved in an accident. 50-cent version, an 18-wheeler drove into her car and dragged it about 200 feet as the truck made an illegal U-turn from the middle lane of a 3 lane (each way for 6 lanes total) thoroughfare. No one was hurt thankfully but the truck driver was cited for unsafe lane switching and my wife's car was ruled a total loss. Given the other driver was ticketed there seems to be little question as to fault.

My question is, the other guy's insurance company recent sent a guy to take pictures of my wife's car. My wife's car is an older one with a bluebook value in the $3000 range. It was in excellent condition (not so much anymore). The guy from the trucker's insurance company (he actually described himself as a kind of middleman) said he could get us more money (including not having to worry about a deductible) if we worked with him and the trucker's company directly, offering us something in the $3400-3800 range. I wanted to ask if this was typical and if working this way was likely to our advantage. We haven't yet been quote a value from our own insurance company, but expect it soon. Obviously they'll take off the deductible before giving us any cash.

I imagine that the other guy's company must be offering either to a.) split the deductible (essentially they can pay us more than we'd get from our own company, but less than our own company would then get from theirs), or b.) offer us a decent deal to make it less likely we'd litigate (my wife did mention having some minor neck pain which is true).

On balance is this sort of deal a good one to take?

Thanx
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.188.10.153

Registered Member
    Member No: 94415 jayb is on a distinguished road jayb's Avatar

Yes | No
    OR C) That the other insurance company believes they can get off cheaper dealing directly with you and by-pass your insurance company who has allot of experience doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalongod View Post
    Hi:

Quick question, just looking from some insight. My wife was recently involved in an accident. 50-cent version, an 18-wheeler drove into her car and dragged it about 200 feet as the truck made an illegal U-turn from the middle lane of a 3 lane (each way for 6 lanes total) thoroughfare. No one was hurt thankfully but the truck driver was cited for unsafe lane switching and my wife's car was ruled a total loss. Given the other driver was ticketed there seems to be little question as to fault.

My question is, the other guy's insurance company recent sent a guy to take pictures of my wife's car. My wife's car is an older one with a bluebook value in the $3000 range. It was in excellent condition (not so much anymore). The guy from the trucker's insurance company (he actually described himself as a kind of middleman) said he could get us more money (including not having to worry about a deductible) if we worked with him and the trucker's company directly, offering us something in the $3400-3800 range. I wanted to ask if this was typical and if working this way was likely to our advantage. We haven't yet been quote a value from our own insurance company, but expect it soon. Obviously they'll take off the deductible before giving us any cash.

I imagine that the other guy's company must be offering either to a.) split the deductible (essentially they can pay us more than we'd get from our own company, but less than our own company would then get from theirs), or b.) offer us a decent deal to make it less likely we'd litigate (my wife did mention having some minor neck pain which is true).

On balance is this sort of deal a good one to take?

Thanx
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.221.146.6

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information