+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 156779 Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point Nancy's Avatar

Yes | No

Replacing Run Flats on a 07 Cooper S

I have replaced 3 run flat tires in the 4 years I've had my Mini (2 because of punctures and one because of wear on the outside) at a cost of almost $300 for each tire with installation. The last tire I replaced only has 20,000 miles on it and already needs replacing along with 2 others. So I have to replace 3 tires. I'm thinking about switching to non run flats. I live in the foothills of the Sierra so do a lot of driving on hills but generally stay in the area. Each time I've needed a new tire, I've had to drive 50 miles on the run flat to the dealer. We have taken 2 long trips in the Mini. I would like some advice on what size I should get to replace the run flats. I currently have Goodyear 195-55R16's on the car. I've read most of the posts and am thinking I can get a tire patch kit or whatever you would recommend. I also have cell phone coverage and AAA. I am very dissatisfied with the amount of wear you get on the run flats. I can't see putting out $1200 for 4 new tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not very car savvy and all of the posts on this subject are confusing to wade through. Would it be a good idea to go to a Goodyear dealer and ask for their suggestions? The Goodyear dealer near me doesn't even stock runflats and doesn't know much about them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.238.206.237

Registered Member
    Member No: 118819 call831 is an unknown quantity at this point call831's Avatar

Yes | No

re:Replacing Run Flats on a 07 Cooper S

Nancy, I hope this is not too late. First time on the Mini forum. I replaced mine with regular tires and I notice no difference in performance while driving. I replaced mine with Bridgestone Potenza 195-55r16. I still have money for gas. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.187.197.15

Registered Member

Yes | No
    No, it's not too late as I'm still mulling over what to do. My husband is hesitant to put regular tires on because he's worried about what to do if we get a flat. Are you carrying a tire patch kit?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.208.80.252

Registered Member
    Member No: 118819 call831 is an unknown quantity at this point call831's Avatar

Yes | No

Replacing Run Flats on a 07 Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    No, it's not too late as I'm still mulling over what to do. My husband is hesitant to put regular tires on because he's worried about what to do if we get a flat. Are you carrying a tire patch kit?
    Well, what did you do before these incredible run flats came to be? I dont have a tire patch kit but my car came with a spare tire and jack kit. Mine is an '04 and never had a flat tire. Though tires do go flat personally I can not remember the last time I experienced a flat tire on the road... Seems like a simple decision, spend money on security blanket or keep money for gas.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.187.197.15

Registered Member
    Member No: 102048 HPuck35 is an unknown quantity at this point HPuck35's Avatar

Yes | No
    I have replaced the run flats on my 05 MCS and my wife's 07 MCS. I also bought a Mini mini spare. The cost of 4 new non-runflat tires and the mini spare was much lees than the cost of 4 runflats, so I saved money right from the start. If I am just around town, I will leave the spare at home. Throw it in the car for those longer trips. Doesn't fit in the back, so I have to put one of the rear seats down to fit it in. No big deal to me. I also carry a can of flat fixer and my AAA card. {Note that if you have the limited slip diff, then the mini spare can only go on the rear. A flat on the front would entail some tire switching}

Several on line Mini parts distributers have the mini spare for much less than the dealer. They'll sell you the tire already mounted on the rim, which is the way I went. You can even get a case to fit in but I just use a big plastic bag.

Not sure if it just me, but I would wear the edges off the tread in way less than 20,000 miles with the run flats. I'd up the tire pressure a tad a still wear the edges. Put the non-runflats on and am getting much more even tread wear and longer life on the tires. I attribute this to the stiff sidewalls of the runflats (and also probably my driving style).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.38.31.72

Registered Member

Yes | No
    I've replaced all 4 tires with non run flats and so far, I love them. The ride is smoother also. I just have a slime kit with air compressor and my AAA card for now.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.238.219.4

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information