+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 18692 john.d.moore is an unknown quantity at this point john.d.moore's Avatar

Yes | No

How to Transport, Store and Switch-Out Gas for House Generator?

CODGER here; for some reason I've lost my handle, (and my harmonica, Albert) (actually, my harmonica is not named Albert, it's just that,, ah never miind)...and I'd like to get my handle back, so besides responding to my post below, please let me know how one, e.g. me, can become CODGER again ; )

Almost a year ago, I bought a 10K watt generator as emergency power for my mountain house (all wired in, etc.) Only now did I stop to think about fuel, rotating stocks, accessing, de-accessing, etc. I now understand the attraction of the Generac-type house generators, but I'm convinced I can get the same backup with a little noodling. My fundamental problem is that I hadn't realized how comprehensively the auto industry had prevented gas siphoning from recent cars. For 20 years I had a '61 C-10 Apache that I could siphon gas into and out of easily, but now I only have my M-Coupe, a Subie Baja, and an Infiniti FX35, and I'm pretty sure each has some kind of ball valve, anti-siphon, or roll-over protection device that makes in impossible to siphon fuel from them.

I need to keep between 10 and 50 gallons of gas available for the generator (it uses one gallon per hour) and it shouldn't actually be stored in the generator so I can test it bi-monthly and let it run dry afterwards. I really don't want to keep a 50 gallon drum of gas around because of the whole hassle of filling it, rotating stock at least annually, and getting it back into my cars. So far, siphoning is by far the best answer to each of those problems.

Right now I've got the local garage owner willing to add a fitting to the top of the gas tank that will enable a line to fit into the tank and then up somewhere to say - like the truck bed of my Baja. Any thoughts on that or a better concept? I need to find a fitting and a 1/4 -3/8" line - any ideas on what and where?

Just as importantly - what other concepts should I explore? Anything with the existing fuel line or pump? I don't know how hard it is to remove the anti-siphon ball fitting, but I'm afraid I'd run into Check Engine problems if I by-passed it or something.

So fire up your beans and give me some good ideas to pursue - one of you must have thought about this kind of thing at some point.. ; )

Thanks,

John

(Formerly CODGER, and seeking to remain so)

Triple Black '01 M Coupe
    Last edited by john.d.moore; 11-12-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: To clarify that I used to be, and actually am, CODGER ; )
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.246.183.82

Registered Member
    Member No: 18692 john.d.moore is an unknown quantity at this point john.d.moore's Avatar

Yes | No
    What? Your response reads like it was run through a bad translator... ; ) but thanks anyway!

I've solved the problem by finding a gas conditioner that enables me to keep the gas for 3 years easily. It even restores old stale gas! So I bought 10 5 gallon gas cans, filled them and conditioned them and now store them in the shed I built for the generator which has good ventilation and an exhaust vent. Every 3 years I'll use up the old gas in my truck and then get the gas cans all filled at once and then I'm good for another year.

CODGER
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.246.183.82

Registered Member
    Member No: 57476 ammolab is an unknown quantity at this point ammolab's Avatar

Yes | No
    Go here: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

to find some Ethanol free gas for storage. It has a much better chance of going 3 years with
    any fuel stabilzer.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.196.87.139

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information