+ Reply to Thread
    User Level 1
    Member No: 189278 dottieshusband is an unknown quantity at this point dottieshusband's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil Change and a MYSTERY

I have a 2011 R55, NON-S Clubman...like all, I'm not happy with the oil service frequency, so at 8K, changed my own...Now the MYSTERY...upon removing the filter canister, when the oil drained from the cup, there was a broken O ring, about 16MM OD, and 3.5 MM thick. The broken part of the O ring was imbedded in the filter element... in the oil filter housing on the engine, there is a spring loaded valve of some type, and the O ring appears to have come from it's base...the eploded diagrams on realoem don't show an O ring there, and the dealer was CLUELESS (no mystery there)...Any ideas?? Thanks, pk
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.130.137.132

User Level 1
    Member No: 195460 AussieBoyInDenver is an unknown quantity at this point AussieBoyInDenver's Avatar

Yes | No
    I checked on YouTube and they have some great step by step instructions for changing oil and the filter. It might not be easy to check from the exploded diagram, but the YouTube videos were excellent in detail, so you'll be better able to see how the filter should look when installed correctly (as well as seeing how it should come out after proper use as well).

In terms of oil change frequency, most car manufacturers change oil within the first 5K. I know Mini suggests 15K, so maybe they have already done the run in at the factory and replaced the oil?? I looked up a couple of manufacturing videos on the mini and I was not able to discern if they run-in the engine. To be on safe side, I'd replace oil at 5K and then reset the service and replace oil at the suggested intervals, going forward.

I know BMW uses Castrol 5w-30 or 40 as the requisite oil. I tend to use Mobil 1 oil for my oil changes. If you want 200K out of your engine, Mobil 1 is so much better than all the rest of oils on the market. How do I know? I used to work for Shell Lubricants and we used to test all the competitors oils with an extreme wear and heat test; most oils failed the testing within a day including our own products; Mobil 1 lasted 4 days. It was so good that under real engine tests, we were not able to discern wear microscopically in engine tests after a simulated 100K mile test. From that day forward, Mobil 1 synthetic has been my oil of choice; 5w-30 and 5w-40 chosen based on temperature range where I live. For what it's worth, anyway.
    Last edited by AussieBoyInDenver; 10-05-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.56.188.234

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information