+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 57476 ammolab is an unknown quantity at this point ammolab's Avatar

Yes | No

42ppm Lead and 21ppm Copper in S54 Oil @ 60,000miles

This in a Oil drain interval of 6000miles on TWS 10W-60. Time I think for Rod Bearing replacement. I want to keep my S54 2002 M Coupe
    for another ten years....Just can't risk that engine failure.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.64.28.38

Registered Member
    Member No: 137549 Marty505 is on a distinguished road Marty505's Avatar

Yes | No
    The levels are a little high but not excessive after 6K on the oil. After all, we're talking parts per million. I'd be inclined to do another analysis after 3K on the next change before deciding to tear into an S54. You may already have it, but here's a link to an oil web site that has some good info. on analysis interpretation. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.155.190.68

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Well those numbers are pretty high compaired to averages for the S54... the lab lists 4ppm for lead and 8ppm for copper as average figures for this engine. Remember that if you go by the service indicator you are changing oil at MUCH MORE than 6000miles. Maybe my numbers are really high if M3 guys and other Coupe owners are making up these low averages with the LONG BMW service interval.

I will spend the Bucks to make sure I don't loose the motor somewhere in West Texas some hot Summer afternoon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.196.87.139

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty505 View Post
    The levels are a little high but not excessive after 6K on the oil. After all, we're talking parts per million. I'd be inclined to do another analysis after 3K on the next change before deciding to tear into an S54. You may already have it, but here's a link to an oil web site that has some good info. on analysis interpretation. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm
    Google "S54 Oil Analysis".....the HIGHEST Lead in ppm I could find was 14ppm and this guys engine failed 500miles after he had the oil tested. In a collection of 20 S54 Oil reports on sound engines the highest lead was around 4ppm. At 41ppm lead and 21ppm copper.... I am coasting to the shop to get rod bearings checked/replaced, MONDAY!!

I urge all you guys to check your oil lead/copper levels at your next oil change.

Registered Member
    Member No: 137549 Marty505 is on a distinguished road Marty505's Avatar

Yes | No
    That's a shame. Hope rod bearings take care of it. So what's up with S54's? Almost every BMW bottom end I've taken apart was in remarkably good shape, it was always the top end that went first. The only exception was a motor that was run out of oil and spun the #5 rod bearing - and I seriously doubt yours ever got even a half quart low. Just doesn't make sense to lose bottom end bearings at 60K.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 184.155.190.68

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty505 View Post
    That's a shame. Hope rod bearings take care of it. So what's up with S54's? Almost every BMW bottom end I've taken apart was in remarkably good shape, it was always the top end that went first. The only exception was a motor that was run out of oil and spun the #5 rod bearing - and I seriously doubt yours ever got even a half quart low. Just doesn't make sense to lose bottom end bearings at 60K.
    Marty: Rod bearing failures are almost expected on S54 BMW engines.. Here is a good write up from the M Coupe Buyers guide:

"Rod Bearing Failure (2001-2002 M Coupes):
    The S54 engine in 2001-2002 M Coupes had a very significant design flaw that can be fatal to the engine. The rod bearings on the crank shaft can become misaligned, causing the crankshaft to move out of alignment. Replacing these bearings with an updated version is a permanent, but costly fix. All S54 owners should ensure that this problem has been corrected. BMW covered this problem under warranty on other models, and has been known to cover this issue on a case-by-case basis for the Z3. If purchasing an S54-engined M Coupe, check the maintenance records to see if either the bearings or entire engine have been replaced. Expect to pay $800-$1200 to have it done on your own dime."

Registered Member

Yes | No

Bearings were TOAST

Oil pan is off and Bearings are SHOT. Tech tells me I would have lost the engine if I kept driving.

If you have never done an oil analysis on your S54. Do it!

25 bucks saved me THOUSANDS of dollars.

Registered Member
    Member No: 18692 john.d.moore is an unknown quantity at this point john.d.moore's Avatar

Yes | No

Was this the firsxt time you had the oil analyzed?

You don't say whether you had the oil analyzed earlier; if so the bearings could have been "going" for some time. Most, if not all failures showed up early. I had mine tested twice 5 yeatrs ago and it was fine.

So please let us know if you had the oil analyzed earlier with OK results and only recently did the bearings go bad after many more miles.

Thanks, CODGER

01 Triple Black M coupe
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.246.183.82

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by john.d.moore View Post
    You don't say whether you had the oil analyzed earlier; if so the bearings could have been "going" for some time. Most, if not all failures showed up early. I had mine tested twice 5 yeatrs ago and it was fine.

So please let us know if you had the oil analyzed earlier with OK results and only recently did the bearings go bad after many more miles.

Thanks, CODGER
    01 Triple Black M coupe
    I had no clue bearings were an issue, but I was "nervous" as should any S54 owner be....I sent the oil in @ 60,000miles to get a baseline and got back a report of 42ppm Lead and 21ppm copper. All the bearings but # 5 looked pretty good but #5 was worn down to pure copper! I do not know if that bearing was worn out in the first 1200 miles of my car's life, or the last 100...but it was SHOT!

It's time to test your oil again. Mine could have been perfect 5 years ago.
    Attached Images

Registered Member
    Member No: 18692 john.d.moore is an unknown quantity at this point john.d.moore's Avatar

Yes | No

Mos Def!

Found my black specimen bottle from 5 years ago and will definitely get it done. Thanks for the warning!

CODGER

(Somehow in the last several years I lost my CODGER handle and the admins " made me" use my email addy surname. Maybe if one of them reads this, they'll let me know how to get it back ; )
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.246.183.82

Registered Member

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by john.d.moore View Post
    Found my black specimen bottle from 5 years ago and will definitely get it done. Thanks for the warning!

CODGER

(Somehow in the last several years I lost my CODGER handle and the admins " made me" use my email addy surname. Maybe if one of them reads this, they'll let me know how to get it back ; )
    Let us know how that tests out.

I bought a specimen pump to suck a sample out of the dipstick tube at 500miles post op. I will continue to follow this repair to see if I am good to go now!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information